Constant itching (dry skin, flakes)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant itching (dry skin, flakes)

Trammel is offline Junior Member

DefaultConstant itching (dry skin, flakes)

Bailey is six months and has been on the Nature's Variety kibble, Salmon Meal & Brown Rice Medley. We mixed in half a can of parie(variety) or instinct (rabbit & duck) at lunch.

So two things now, we are transitioning to 2x feeding & she is constantly itching. Doesn't really bother her feet, just her backside, hips & tail. She has little white flakes (dry skin I suspect). I figured the kibble would be enough for moisturising, am I wrong?

I am thinking of feeding her around 11:30am & 6:00pm, should I make it more like 6 & 6?
    Also, she seems to have eye buggers more now than when she was little.
    Looking at possibly trying Orijen Puppy Large.
    ToTW stream looks ok but recent post about their bad food has me turned off.

Lookiging fo suggestions, thank you

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure how the weather is down there this time of the year, but maybe the dry air has something to do with it?? Our dogs always seem to get itchy with the dry winter air. I know its not cold there like it is here...but if your house is dry that has a lot to do with it.

We try to keep a humidifier going during the winter to help with that.

Has she always done ok on the food or has she always been itchy/eye boogers? You may consider switching foods........some dogs have grain intolerances and that could cause itching/eye boogers as well. There are a lot of grain free choices out there made for puppies now...

You could also try some fish oil in her food.

Those are my suggestions for now. But obviously use your judgement as to what you think needs to be adjusted.

Good luck!
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You can feed 2x a day at that age and you can also switch to an all life stages food. I'd add fish oil and brush her regularly to help distribute her coat oil. You are not bathing her, are you? That will certainly dry her out.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is pretty dry here in Arizona (that is what were known for, a dry heat ) She has done pretty well overall on the NV food.
    She is bathed once a month at the groomers, using the oatmeal shampoo. Though we are starting to take her swimming in the pool (salt water). I must admit the last couple of time out of the pool, I didn't rinse her off with the hose.
    I will look in to some fish oil as well. (which ones do you use?)
    Last edited by Trammel; 03-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    CGC

Quote Originally Posted by Trammel View Post
    It is pretty dry here in Arizona (that is what were known for, a dry heat ) She has done pretty well overall on the NV food.
    She is bathed once a month at the groomers, using the oatmeal shampoo. Though we are starting to take her swimming in the pool (salt water). I must admit the last couple of time out of the pool, I didn't rinse her off with the hose.
    I will look in to some fish oil as well. (which ones do you use?)
    There is no need to bathe a Lab at all much less once a month. That's your problem right there. Unless you are battling some skin ailment and she needs that oatmeal bath to control a condition - I would stop bathing right now. They are not poodles - they don't need that kind of grooming. In fact - it ruins a Lab coat to bathe more than once a year or so. My 2 year old has had one bath in the last 18 months and that was because he rolled in a dead thing. The 5 year old has not had a bath since his last run in with a skunk.

whoops! I will stop the monthly bath & brush. So I am guessing that when she is dirty from the dog park, just rinse her with a hose and brush her out? As well as the pool water, rinse and dry?
    CGC

whoops! I will stop the monthly bath & brush. So I am guessing that when she is dirty from the dog park, just rinse her with a hose and brush her out? As well as the pool water, rinse and dry?
    Yep - just a hose off and towel dry is fine. If your dog gets a little gamey smelling you are better off using a dilute solution of listerine/water in a spray bottle and spraying that on/wiping off than actually giving a bath with a shampoo.

People who bathe frequently seem to bring more coat problems on themselves. Often you have a dog that winds up needing baths more because they get stinky due to their coats being out of whack. My dogs don't smell at all.

I figured I was being helpful by monthly bath and brush.

I just picked up some fish oil pills (1000mg) and some sardines. From what I read of other similar post, one pill a day and a can or two of sardines a week. I gave her the sardines a little bit ago and OMG she likes that more than cheese. (that's saying a lot for her).
    CGC

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Yeah....bathing that often...not good. It ruins the natural oils in their coat.

I give a raw egg at least twice a week in the winter which also seems to help. (Shell and all!)

The fish oil & sardines should help her out though. Good Luck.
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Bailey is six months and has been on the Nature's Variety kibble, Salmon Meal & Brown Rice Medley. We mixed in half a can of parie(variety) or instinct (rabbit & duck) at lunch.

So two things now, we are transitioning to 2x feeding & she is constantly itching. Doesn't really bother her feet, just her backside, hips & tail. She has little white flakes (dry skin I suspect). I figured the kibble would be enough for moisturising, am I wrong?

I am thinking of feeding her around 11:30am & 6:00pm, should I make it more like 6 & 6?
    Also, she seems to have eye buggers more now than when she was little.
    Looking at possibly trying Orijen Puppy Large.
    ToTW stream looks ok but recent post about their bad food has me turned off.

Lookiging fo suggestions, thank you

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
    You've received some great suggestions, I was just wondering what you have heard that is so bad about TOTW. I feed it to Sammi and she does great on it. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed any recalls or something. I just did a search and it still rated well and I can't see any changes in formula from what I saw, so just wondering what I was missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast