10 week old
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 week old

Jesse Paredes is offline Junior Member

Default10 week old

Hey guys, newbie here . I am a proud owner of a now 10 week old silver lab. Mason is his name, and he is a ball of chewing energy. This our first official dog as a family. My wife and I decided that it would be best if she stay home and focus on our 3 children, and now with someone home were also able to enjoy a pet. This is where Mason comes in. We seem to feel he is a little to slender for his age . I was worried he might be sick (parvo or worms) but never showed sighs of loss of appetite. We allow him plenty of rest , food, and water. Btw he is on Purina pro plan large breed puppy formula , thought it might be he just didn't like it, so I bought a small bag of iams smart puppy , took a couple of nibbles and walked away let it sit for the rest of the afternoon and he never touched it, so went back to the purina and he polished his bowl clean! We ran him by the vet to have them take a looks at him. They asked if he was coughing or had diarrhea or vomiting or seemed sluggish. No to all of those questions. He is fine, just slender. A coworker picked up one of his litter mates and he isnt quite as tall as Mason ,but is fat as puppy should be imo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Welcome! He is sprobably on the slender side because he may have weimeriner in his blood. There are only 3 colors of labs black,choclate,and yellow.

Post pics please!!!!!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Hi Jesse

Welcome to the board. How much are you feeding him? Has he gained weight (I assume you have had him for 2 weeks)? Do you see ribs or are they covered? It could just be his body type.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Check the bag for feeding guidelines...puppies are very good at self regulating. You may just be feeding him too much.

Keep an eye on him though and watch for any signs of him being sick. Vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, etc.

Would love to see a picture.
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

Dani is offline Senior Member

He might be slender because he's part weim.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Blondiega1 is offline Senior Member

I agree. He may have some Weim in him and this is why he is on the slender side.
    Is he registered or did you adopt him?

Welcome to the board and can't wait to see pictures!
    It's a tough life.....but someone has to do it.
    Daisy and Coco sunbathing.

Jesse Paredes is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys . I see his silver color may be the reason he is skinny. lol ..He is fed four times a day with snacks in between during his potty breaks and crate training. Here is his schedule 5:30 am (as I get ready for work) then my wife takes over 9:30, 1:30, 4:30, 9:30. were give him about two cups, that he manages to about half of it evenly spread in strange patterns on the kitchen tile...hmm maybe he trying so send me a sign? Lol ..but he doesn't show ribs and yes he is akc registered. His parent s belong to our friends. Two big beautiful chocolates. When they were born they called me over to look at these two silvers and I knew I wanted him then ..love at first sight! They have a high fenced area and sleep in kennels so its unlikely a wiem got in there. But I understand what you mean ive read the nasty things wrote on the silvers. It really doesn't bother me in the least. I always wanted a lab and I feel I have a special one now . As long as little Mason is happy so am I. I will post pics as soon as I get them loaded on the computer. In a day or so. Dirt bike racing season just kicked off so I should have some interesting ones for you guys !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Two cups a day or 8 cups a day? You should be feeding him 3x a day - 4 is not necessary at this point. Usually about 1.5 cups at each feeding.

The silver comes from a weim somewhere back in the lines. The dog and bitch may not appear silver at all. I'm sure yours is registered as chocolate, right?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

maria86 is offline Junior Member

I would have a fecal test done just in case- it is very common for puppies to have intestinal parasites. Sometimes they don't even have vomiting/diarrhea and the test is still positive.

Luck-be-a-Lady is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Paredes View Post
    They have a high fenced area and sleep in kennels so its unlikely a wiem got in there .

It's not that the dam may have been bred by one but Weimeraner runs in the bloodlines of Labs with the silver-factor, somewhere along the family's history. I love the color, but I've been told that Silvers are not "true Labs" because they were originally bred with Weim's. They are generally thinner than Labs, so it's a possibility that he's thin due to his genes.
    "A Day Without Laughter is a Day Wasted"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast