This past Saturday my 3 yr old black lab and my 3 yr old medium sized mutt, ate a little bit of Sago Palm at a friend's house. The dogs were playing in the backyard and we were inside. I went out onto the back porch and saw that they had eaten part of the root of this small plant. I know that Sago Palms can get to be very large, but this was about the size of a small pineapple. My dogs had eaten less than half of the root (between the 2 of them). I didn't know what kind of plant it was.
Having worked at a veterinary hospital for 4 yrs, I knew what symptoms to look out for. I figured they had eaten some plant, that it could very likely make them sick to their stomachs but I figured I could just give meds and fluids if needed. My lab started vomiting about 2 hrs later. Immediately I took her to the Emergency Clinic. I was concerned for my pet but simply expected to put her on stomadch meds and IV fluids for gastritis or pancreatitis...for some reason toxicity did not cross my mind. After I described the plant, the vet came and showed me a picture of a sago palm and I confirmed that it did look like that. Right then everything changed and she went on to explain that 50-75% patients die after ingesting sago palm. We began aggressive treatment immediately- apomorphine,activitated charcoal, IV fluids, stomach protectants, etc. We have done bloodwork on both dogs 3 times in the past 5 days and liver values are all normal. Activity level is good, but not 100%. They are eating, drinking, no vomiting/diarrhea. I am relieved and expect a full recovery at this point. I have read of some cases where the dogs recover temporarily and weeks later have liver problems/die. Have any of you had a similar situation??
I'd be putting my dogs on milk thistle to help w/ liver repair. Outside of that, all I can offer are my best wishes for speedy recovery.
WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014
Wow, I have never heard of that. I'm so sorry for your dogs, but thank goodness you got them help quickly. Best wishes for a full recovery.
Loved by Kelley
Sadly, it is a very common house plant..it is toxic to kids and pets. Yet there was NO WARNING anywhere about the toxicity of the plant. My friend has a lab mix, who thankfully did not eat any of it...obvioulsy she never would have bought the plant if there was a warning.
How scary for you. Please talk to the vet prior to giving milk thistle. MT can be detrimental to a healthy liver over time. If your dogs levels are in normal range i would not give it.
You can give SAMe with Vit. B50 Complex if you want something to support the liver and alfalfa tablets support liver, as well as Vit E (200iu for a dog in normal range - 400iu if elevated). But check with your vet because of the trauma your dogs recently went thru.
what about adding sam-e to the diet as well?
very frightening and i hope your dogs will be ok.