Food change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food change

BucksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood change

The past few weeks have sure been a challenge. 2 weeks ago my Buck (9 year old neutered male) started to have diarrhea. Had him completely checked over, nothing found, nothing. He's been on Kirkland food for the past 6 years without problems, the last 2 years he's been eating the mature dog formula. Thinking back, there was somewhat of a pattern since about November. The first week into a new bag, he'd have a day or so of runny poops and lots of gas, lots. But it sorted itself out quickly. 2 weeks ago, not so much. He had had 2 accidents during the night (poor baby). So i took him off the food and cooked rice for him, slowly added some canned food. All was improving. Slowly started to reintroduce kirkland and 3 days into adding more kibble, bammmm liquid poo again. And horrible gas, painful gas very scary.

I called Costco almost 2 weeks ago and the next day a very nice lady vet called me back. She asked me alot of questions and seemed really stumped on what could be causing this. She asked for the code number and date on the bag. Assured me that she would get back to me. She suggested maybe switching him to Nature's Domain but it isn't available here. I havn't heard from her since.

I returned the bag of food to Costco and went on over to PetSmart. Read a bunch of labels on bags. Not really knowing what to pick. I thought maybe something lower in protein might help. So i picked Pro Plan. Started slowly introducing it on Saturday, mixed small amounts with rice. Yesterday was his first full day on a full portion of Pro Plan. There has been absolutely NO gas and no diarrhea. He seems so much more content. I am pleased with the results so far and crossing my fingers that the liquid poo's stay away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Kirkland is a Diamond product, right?
    Moka and Java are on TOTW, also a Diamond product and the same exact thing happened to us recently. They have been on TOTW High Prairie for over a year now and doing great..until a couple of weeks ago. Diarrhea, accidents at night and during the say in their crates. I switched them to the Pacific Stream and things went back to normal.
    I returned the bag of High Prairie and exchanged it for another bag of the same thing with a different date/lot number. After the first mean....bad poop problems right away. Back on Pacific Stream. Going to return the other bags of High Prairie and figure out what to do.
    Something seems to be up with Diamond.

Thats why i posted this, just incase anyone else was having problems. And I wanted to wait for the changeover results too. I hope yours gets better too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh yes, Kirkland is a Diamond product.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksMom View Post
    Thats why i posted this, just incase anyone else was having problems. And I wanted to wait for the changeover results too. I hope yours gets better too.
    Thanks...it just seems to be TOTW High Prairie at the moment..the TOTW Pacific Stream is fine.
    The smell of the High Prairie is just wrong too...I didn't notice it until I opened a sample bag of it. The difference in the smell between the full size bag and the sample bag is striking.
    I will be returning the opened bag of High Prairie on Friday....not sure if I'll be getting another bag of it or getting one of the other flavors. My girls have done very well on all flavors of TOTW, so I'll probably just get a bag of one of the others.

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Yikes, thats what I was going to suggest too.......perhaps a bad batch of food?

Hopefully the Pro Plan continues to work for you and no further issues.
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Nallah06 View Post
    Yikes, thats what I was going to suggest too.......perhaps a bad batch of food?

Hopefully the Pro Plan continues to work for you and no further issues.
    I'm hoping for us that it's just a bad batch of food. Actually thinking about just returning the bags (2-1 opened, 1 unopened) and going somewhere else to buy it. They've been on TOTW for over a year and we have never had a problem with it. This is the first time we bought it at this particular place...thinking maybe it's older and wasn't stored correctly???
    I really don't want to start over with a different food-the girls have done so well on TOTW.

Dani is offline Senior Member

My guys are on Diamond naturals and are not having any problems. Just opened a new bag. One thing to remember is that with all of the thawing going on...there is lots of funkiness in the soil. My guys seem to pick up "gunk" in the spring with walking through parks and on grass that has disinagrating poo, and lots of other winter junk seeping in.

I wouldn't bag it to a problem with Diamond just yet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    My guys are on Diamond naturals and are not having any problems. Just opened a new bag. One thing to remember is that with all of the thawing going on...there is lots of funkiness in the soil. My guys seem to pick up "gunk" in the spring with walking through parks and on grass that has disinagrating poo, and lots of other winter junk seeping in.

I wouldn't bag it to a problem with Diamond just yet.
    Except that their poop samples came up clear and it also cleared right up once I took them off the High Prairie. Opened a new bag of it, gave it to them and immediately the problems started back up.
    I've put them back on the Pacific Stream and their poops are normal again.
    My first thought, initially was giardia, even got the meds to treat it..but that's not the problem. It's something in the food.
    If you could just smeel the bag that I opened, compared to a sample bag of it.
    Marked difference in smell.
    The big bag even looks a little different-darker and almost greasy.
    It's just not right.

Nallah06 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Except that their poop samples came up clear and it also cleared right up once I took them off the High Prairie. Opened a new bag of it, gave it to them and immediately the problems started back up.
    I've put them back on the Pacific Stream and their poops are normal again.
    My first thought, initially was giardia, even got the meds to treat it..but that's not the problem. It's something in the food.
    If you could just smeel the bag that I opened, compared to a sample bag of it.
    Marked difference in smell.
    The big bag even looks a little different-darker and almost greasy.
    It's just not right.
    I remember when I was feeding kibble and I was trying out different grain free foods......I tried TOTW. I got a bag (don't remember which variety) and it was exaclty like you said...greasy. This was my first bag, so I fed it....but it didn't agree with Nallah...I called the store and they gave me a new bag and there were no issues, it wasn't greasy either. I didn't stick with TOTW for that reason...I didn't want to mess with having to return bags or wonder if they'd be ok. I believe thats when I went to Wellness CORE.
    Loved by Kelley
    Nallah (8/6/2006)
    Morgan (5/17/2008)
    Remi (7/3/2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast