Diabetic 10 yr. old yellow

Thread: Diabetic 10 yr. old yellow

rudysmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultDiabetic 10 yr. old yellow

I posted a few months ago in regards to Rudy drinking excessively and urinating lot more.

Took him to Vet and he was tested and results are that he is a diabetic. I immediately was sick over this, but was ready to do what it takes to make him feel better. He is on Humulin N 20 units 2 x a day (12 hrs. apart) We were told to cut back his food intake which we have and he has lost quite a bit of weight. No more treats and if I do give him something, it is either a few pieces of carrot or some cauliflower.

I believe he does feel better. Within a day or so of getting his insulin he was getting up more and had some spunk to him.

The problem that I find now is, sometimes he just doesn't want to go out to pee. When I do go out with him and follow him for an urine sample, he hesitates or stops in mid stream, or doesn't go.

Maybe I am just being a bit neurotic with my worrying about him, but I can't help it. How many people here have had diabetic dogs and what advice do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I have a diabetic Lab. He is 5 and has been diabetic since he was 18 months old.

I take it you are still testing his urine? Have you tried testing his blood? It's much more exact. Urine testing is minimally worthwhile imo.

My boy is on the same med - 16 units in the morning and 18.5 at night. We are very rigid about what he eats and when and consequently he has been very stable for a long time. The first 6 months were a little rocky at times. He was up to 20 units at a time at one point and we then experienced an insulin shock event - quite alarming! After that we dialed back a bit and he's been OK since.

I don't have a problem with my dog /NOT/ peeing - quite the opposite he would probably go out every 3 hours all day long if someone was here to accomodate him. If he is drinking and peeing on a regular schedule I would not worry. If he is not drinking or you think he is not peeing enough you should see the vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

rudysmom is offline Junior Member

Thanks Sharon for writing me back. I would like to know what kind of glucometer you use and test strips and of course the lancet to test. I was going to do the testing myself but wanted to try the urine first. Where do you test on him? The last reading the vet got with his blood was 156 ansd she was happy with it because it was the same as the one before. She said I was lucky that most dogs don't regulate this fast.