Rapid eating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapid eating

lovingracie is offline Junior Member

DefaultRapid eating

After reading the post on bloat I thought I'd try one more time to get a tip that works - Our 1 year old femal eats at a ridiculous pace. She does not chew her food but swallows it whole I'm sure. She eats separately from our older dog an always has...no threat there. I have purchased the slow eat bowl with ridges to slow her down, tried spreading it over a large cookie sheet and tried using a cupcake tin to make it a bit harder. Nothing works...she is small boned but I bet not getting the weight she needs as she never chews anything - she Weighs 52 lbs and is healthy in everyway but this nuertic way of gobbling her kibble . I am begging for some advice as I never want to get to an issue with bloat or at the very least get her to eat normally. Help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I have this issue with Kate, our youngest. She is 18 months old & still inhales her food. We tried the slow down bowl..only worked a little, did the cookie sheet thing, still didn't slow her much. My breeder gave me a large shallow stainless steel bowl & she does a little better. I am still waiting for something that works, Because our oldest lab has "empty stomach syndrome" we have always divided their meals into three, so Molly could have a meal later in the evening to help her stomach. Good luck. I will check back to see if anyone has new ideas. Good luck with your girl.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Have you tried one of those treat dispensing toys, like a Buster Cube? I've noticed that it takes Caleb longer to eat the few times I mixed some canned food to his meal. I don't add much- maybe two tablespoons to a cup of dry food. Maybe that would work for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Have you tried a dog puzzle? Dog Brick Puzzle Wood Dog Games Challenges Dogs It is a great way of keeping her busy to.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    Have you tried a dog puzzle? Dog Brick Puzzle Wood Dog Games Challenges Dogs It is a great way of keeping her busy to.
    That's a good idea, Deidra, but I don't think they're made to hold enough for a meal for a Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    That's a good idea, Deidra, but I don't think they're made to hold enough for a meal for a Lab.
    I saw it on a show called "It's me or the dog". They used it on a shepherd mix i thought it looked cool. Now i see that it wont hold enough but it would teach her to eat more slowly..

I saw it on a show called "It's me or the dog"...
    That's a great show, isn't it?

...They used it on a shepherd mix i thought it looked cool. Now i see that it wont hold enough but it would teach her to eat more slowly..
    But it is a great way to excercise a dog's brain.

Yes i love it. I think it should be on more often. I need to get tank and Bentley one since I'm gone for 8 hrs a day.

lovingracie is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone - I will hope she outgrows it a little. I think using something like the buster cube will only make her go crazier

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovingracie View Post
    she is small boned but I bet not getting the weight she needs as she never chews anything
    I don't think chewing makes a dog gain more. If it is getting digested (when it comes out the back end it looks different than when it went in the front end) she is getting food value.

If you think she needs to eat slower - just give her the food in smaller doses - instead of putting it all in the bowl at once, split it up into 4-5 separate meals within the meal. Heck- add it to her bowl a tablespoon at a time if that will slow her down.

I don't understand how she can eat food spread out over a cookie sheet quickly - she has to pick up one kibble at a time.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast