arthritis and seaweed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arthritis and seaweed

lab mad is offline Junior Member

Defaultarthritis and seaweed

willow is my 11 year old choc lab with very severe arthritis in her hocks, ( the vet said he has never seen any as bad as hers !!!) she's been on meds for many years now, trocoxil being the new one we are trying out .
    whilst out on one of our plods the other day, a fellow dog walker suggested i give her seaweed once aday in her food, but having read up on this it seems to be more for coat condition and excessive moulting ! i know i carnt ever make her better (there is very limited movement in her hocks ) and she still goes on 2 plods aday (her choice) whilst her sisters run round at 100 miles an hour !!
    has anyone had experiance using seaweed in a arthrictic dog or any suggestions of things to try ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

no i have never heard os using sewead but only steroids and pain relever are 2 and also hydro thereapy.so the go into a tank fill it with water and the dogs body weight is reduced and they can walk with no pain.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Castaway is offline Senior Member

OT. Did she have a kidney liver function test before starting trocoxil?
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I don't know about sea weed, but yucca is an anti-inflamitory. I used to give our old guy, Mick, a ArthriSoothe.

I remember a very good thread on the old board from paola about using Tumeric.. Ill see if i can find it.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

she had blood tests before starting the trocoxil as she's been on rimadyl and previcox in the past, it did show her liver enzymes had risen since her last blood test so they have her on a drug called Denamarin to help with this !! she has been going to hydrotherapy aswell ( its a good job she wears a life jacket otherwise she would have drowned along time ago !!! )
    the dog walker also suggested to put a tablespoon of sunflower oil ( the kind you cook with) in her food once aday as this will help her joints ???
    shes not in any pain, i would just like something more natural to give to her as an add on to the other medications she already takes !!

thanks for your replies !! :0)

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

There are a number of products listed here that you may want to try. Sometimes its a combo that does the job. Never heard of seaweed for pain.,

Lubrisyn is one of the first I would try.

Hearty Pet Talkin’ Tails Blog » Blog Archive » Our Beloved Seniors - Arthritis/Joint Issues

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    I don't know about sea weed, but yucca is an anti-inflamitory. I used to give our old guy, Mick, a ArthriSoothe.
    Oops- I meant to include that ArthriSoothe has yucca in it.

My test question was because Trocoxyl is a new drug on the block. Riley (RIP) had to be PTS 10 days after her first dose of it with acute renal failure. I don't believe it was co incidence. She did not have a test prior to starting it. She did have issues including Leishmaniasis (which originally brought me to this board many years ago) so
    I cannot say the drug is entirely to blame.

Though the old board is still up I cannot find Paola's post about Tumeric. I guess a Google search will bring up something.

sorry to hear about what happened to Riley ! i was worried about changing onto trocoxil as i had heard a couple of things about it . my 12 year old lab has been on it for awhile now, but she only has 1 tablet every 2 months as her arthritis is'nt as bad as willow's.
    i will google about Tumeric and see what i can find out !!

thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast