4 year old black lab - gags and yelps when yawning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 year old black lab - gags and yelps when yawning

thebigeasy is offline Junior Member

Default4 year old black lab - gags and yelps when yawning

Hey all...

Had an account here but lost my details and I couldn't wait to post. My 4 year old black lab, Chloe, has been gagging off and on and we really didn't pay much attention to it until recently...it has gotten worse. She can't play with her tennis ball without gagging. And just today, she goes to yawn and cries. Seems the more she opens her mouth, the more pain she's in. We're going to try and see the vet tomorrow but I just wanted some opinions on what you may think it is.

She lets me pet and massage around her neck and throat and seems fine. No lumps or anything out of the ordinary. She lets me put my finger in her mouth but I can't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm scared to open her mouth with any force as I know it would hurt her. We just watched her eat a bone and chews on both sides of her mouth and not favoring one side. She's eating fine but I can tell she's having a hard time drinking water. She's now very gentle when she drinks and has to stop after a few drinks.

This is horrible..my best friend is in pain and I can't help at the moment. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sorry she is hurting! She certainly needs to see the vet asap. My guess would be she has something in her throat (small stick or similar).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks Sharon....my heart hurts everytime I see her gag.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

how scary - hoping it is something stuck in her mouth or throat ... I'd be out of my mind if it was my dog
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

labby is offline Senior Member

Agree with the others, time for a vet visit. Poor thing.

Laura

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Poor baby girl. Get her to a vet ASAP, sounds like something is stuck in her throat.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Well...I brought her in today and they made me leave her. They had to sedate her so they could look into her mouth as there was no way she was going to let them in as she was in a lot of pain. BTW...I'm, 6'4" 240# weight lifter, who cried like a little baby when I left her behind.

The vet is diagnosing her with cranio mandibular osteopathy. From what I understand, it's a genetic disease that effects the lower jaw bone. The vet said he's never seen it before so he couldn't really give me a timeframe on when she will feel better. The weird thing is, I read that this disease occurs during the first year. Chloe is 5 years old. Anyway, if you have some experience please let me know. She's home now with me. She's very tired but she's laying next to me...right where she belongs.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Oh gosh...poor girl. I have nothing wise to say, except that I am sorry and I hope that she feels better soon!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. Did the vet give you any pain meds for her?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

CNO seems to be indicated at ages of less than one year not at four years of age. Since your vet has stated he has not had a case like this I would go slowly in making any treatment decisions until you've had a chance to research this diagnosis and pursue other options. Ask your vet to post your dog's case on "VIN." Typically he/she will have some type of reply within 24 to 48 hours that may shed some light on her condition and or treatment by other veterinarians. Secondly, if your vet is adamant the original diagnosis is correct, I would insist on a second opinion preferably from a vet school that sees and has treated these cases. Your vet can find one for you. If not a vet school perhaps some place like MedVet if you are near one of their hospitals. Do this before you make any decisions about her treatment. Ask if there are meds to keep her comfortable until you can get a second opinion/consult and do not rush into any type of care or possible surgery until you have some definitive answers. Don't beat yourself up for shedding tears. It is obvious you love your pup and she means a great deal to you. I hope you find some solutions and that she is able to live a long comfortable life with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast