Seizure?

Thread: Seizure?

General1061 is offline Junior Member

DefaultSeizure?

I have a question for all of you that have labs that have had seizures in the past. Yesterday when I woke, I let my black lab, Duke, outside to go to the bathroom. When I went to let him back in, he was kind of giving me a blank stare that almost looked like he was afraid of something. He just looked at me like he wanted me to help him. Then he staggered for a second and fell down. He got back up with relative ease and then staggered and fell a second time. Got back up with and has been fine ever since. This entire episode lasted 5, maybe 10 seconds tops. There was no drooling, no shaking or anything of that nature. Does this sound like an epileptic seizure? He was out rolling around in the snow (one of his favorite things to do) right before this happened. I also have noticed that he digs at his ears after doing this which made me wonder if he had some type of ear infection that could have caused it. But with as quickly as it came and went, I have my doubts that it was caused by an infection. Any help would be appreciated. I think my heart stopped beating the entire time this was happening.

Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

i'd take him to the vet and explain what happened. hopefully, there's some middle ear stuff going on but bloods should be drawn as well.if her were mine.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    i'd take him to the vet and explain what happened. hopefully, there's some middle ear stuff going on but bloods should be drawn as well.if her were mine.
    ditto. Not all seizures are lenghty with a lot of bodily flailing and loss of bowel/bladder. Many are quite subtle and quick. See your vet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

It could have been a seizure or a bout of EIC. Either way, I agree with the others and I'd take the dog to the vet and run a complete blood panel. You might order an EIC test kit and have your dog tested for EIC.

DDC EIC DNA Testing | Labrador Exercise Induced Collapse

Laura

garybock is offline Junior Member

Our previous lab had seizures and what you described sounds very similar. We found sudden noises, like a doorbell could set one off. We controlled with meds. Good luck