Hi everyone! I have lurked here for a long time but I have never actually posted. I have a 9 1/2 month old chocolate lab, Lexi, that decided to rip open the trash today (outside-- the trash can was full so I put it beside the trash can, my stupidity) and eat some unknown stuff and cat poop/litter. She came inside and promptly vomited on the back of the couch, the living room carpet, and then dry heaved by the backdoor. I called the vet to ask them if I should bring her in today and they told me just to have her fast for tonight (this happened at around 4PM) and if she was no better in the am, bring her in.
I went to dinner and crated her while I was gone. When I got home about an hour later, I took her out to potty and she vomited on the patio. It looks like water, food, and cat poop this last time. She did poo this last time she went out.
I know labs are known for eating anything, but I have avoided it up until now. I am just worried about her because she is acting a little lethargic, but her abdomen doesn't seem to hurt. I guess because I'm a nurse I freak out a little quick. Does stuff like this usually resolve or is it pretty common to have to take them in to be seen? I lost my Pug last year on February 15 so I am a lot sensitive about my pets at this time of the year, especially this year. I have no problem taking her to the vet and will take her to be seen tomorrow even if she seems better. Thanks!
It's a good sign that there is stuff coming out of both ends. I'd be more concerned with vomitting and no poop. The lethargy is probably due to her feeling crappy.
If she is not hunched up (indicating abdominal pain) or pacing/drooling/can't settle/uncomfortable (which is a sign of bloat), I'd hold off. She may clear the bad stuff in her body by morning. If she continues to vomit tomorrow I would take her in.
Mine just had 3 days of puking - just once a day and otherwise acted completely fine. DH took him to the vet on day 3 of vomit just to check him out. (this Lab of mine is diabetic and has a wing at the vet clinic named after him) She gave him a shot to settle his stomach. He's on doggie Pepcid for 5 days and was on chicken/rice yesterday. He's doing fine today.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
Thanks so much for your response! I was so relieved to see her poo... I'm a little obsessed with making sure she poops lol. She seems to be perking up a little- she had my big cat's head in her mouth while I was trying to do something else. She loves to play with him and that's her way to initiate play with him (they're both a little 'special' lol).
She is back to her old self today! I was so worried about her last night and now she's acting like nothing happened. I gave her a little bit of food this morning and she kept that down. She still has horrible gas but she is usually a stinky girl so not much different lol. Thanks to those that looked and thanks, BigBrownDog, for responding!
Happy to help! Glad she is doing better.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.