Advice Please! Just Diagnosed with OCD and ACL Don't know what to do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please! Just Diagnosed with OCD and ACL Don't know what to do

CoopersMomma is offline Junior Member

UnhappyAdvice Please! Just Diagnosed with OCD and ACL Don't know what to do

Hi All, I am new here and looking for some help, moral support anything at this point to help me and my pup. To make a long story short My lab is 10 months old we took him to MSU today to have his left shoulder looked at. He has had a limp since he was younger than 6 months. End diagnosis he has OCD in both shoulders, with floaters on his left side. He as a stretched, if not partially torn, or ACL on both knees with his right being a stage 3. They also thought he had problems with his elbows but the xrays came out clear.

OMG. I can't even begin to describe to you how heart broken I am for my pup. He is the best dog I have ever had. I currently have him scheduled for bilateral shoulder surgery tomorrow. The ACL problems will get fixed if and when they rupture. That could be today or 6 months from now. Ultimately he is looking at 4 orthopedic surgeries.

I fear that I am making the wrong choice for him. Am I doing this for my own emotions and love for him? Will he be in pain his whole life? Chances are, he will never be able to be a Labrador either. He will be on leash at all times, he will never retrieve birds or do things athletic like other dogs. He will always be a sit by the fire dog. Am I making the right decision by trying to treat these multiple issues? How do I know, he is going to have the right life? Is this fair to him?

Thanks for any support or advice you may have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Here is a link to an article I found on OCD. It sounds like full recovery post surgery is possible.

http://www.homevet.com/petcare/docum...tOCDReview.pdf
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain, my Lola may have a torn ACL and/or OCD, she is only a little over a year old. She also has severeHD which was diagnosed at about 10 months old or so. We originally went to the ortho vet to check her hips and then knee problem was found. She may need surgery as well, we are going back to the vet next week to check things out. I am heartbroken too, I know how it feels to say "am I doing right by her". But there are many members here who have some really great success stories with ortho surgery. One member recommended (Yahoo orthodogs) orthodogs : Discussion of canine orthopedic issues it is a great site, you should join. I will keep your pup in my prayers, please keep me posted on how he is doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

How awful for both of you... I hope you've notified your breeders. Not that they WANT to hear it but they need to hear it. Good luck! Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

DefaultThanks

Thank you for your posts. I am feeling a little better now. I had a lengthy discussion with my vet, also with the vet at MSU handling Coopers care. In reaction to my worries both have explained that not only does he have a good outlook, he has a excellent outlook. The vet at MSU explained that they also take in to consideration his quality of life and long term wellness and believe that he would do great by starting with shoulder surgery and taking proactive steps against ACL ruptures.

Okay, long story short I think that I may have made the right decision my giving Coop another shot. Poor pup is going to go through some hard times though.

Also, yes I have been in direct contact with my breeder. We have been 100% honest with them and believe the so far we have gotten the same from them. We are currently working on a game plan with them.

Please share your OCD/ACL stories if you have one. I hear that young pups can have a wonderful recovery from OCD shoulder SX!

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Many years ago I had a 9 month old lab have a floater removed from a shoulder. He never had a problem after that and died at 14 of kidney failure. Good luck!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My chocolate girl Java tore both ACLs at the same time last February at 13 months old. She had 2 TPLOs-the first was 3-25-10, the second was 6-3-10. She also has elbow dysplasia.
    We are almost a year out from the first surgery and Java is perfect-she is doing amazing. She is running, jumping, playing with our other lab Moka (she's 1 1/2 yo) and romping in the snow with no problems at all-no limping, no stiffness or lameness at all.
    She was limping on her elbows last year, when she hurt her knees, but that was because she had shifted her weight off her knees onto her front to relieve the pain in her knees. Now that her knees are repaired she has stopped limping on her elbows completely. Still, she will be going in the spring for an evaluation on her elbows to see where she is at. We will only do surgery if necessary-our ortho surgeon (who we love) believes in treating the dog, not the x-rays, so if Java is doing fine with her elbows then we will not do surgery at this time.
    Java also has OCD in her knees and DJD (degenerative joint disease). The OCD lesions were debrided at the time of her knee surgeries, while the surgeon already had her knees open.
    I posted some pics recently of my 2 girls (https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...java-moka.html) Java is wearing the red collar, Moka is wearing the blue collar. As you can see from the pics, Java is just another happy Lab-she can run, jump,play and be a puppy again after her surgeries and with her ED. Java hikes, swims and runs off leash. All the things any other Lab does, Java does. She does not live with constant pain at all.
    Moka has also had her issues-she broke both bones in her rear leg in an accident with Java when she was 4 months old. She had surgery to insert a steel rod, pins and an external fixator in her leg and then had a second surgery to remove all the hardware later, once the bone was healed. She is perfect now too-no after effects from her ordeal at all. She's just another Lab puppy as well.

Ortho issues suck, I know, but they are not the end of the world. These things can be fixed and your dog can and will lead a great life and be able to be a dog again. Java is proof of that.
    So, try to stay positive.
    If your pup isn't on anything already, I would recommend starting him on some good supplements and sure he is nice and lean (excess weight on dogs with orthopedic issues is the worst thing you can do to them).
    Just keep in mind-these things aren't life threatening. They can be managed very well and your pup can go on to live a happy, active and long life.Was it fun? No. It was a long road to recovery, Java was confined to an ex-pen for 9 months straight, completely restricted.
    Be confident in your decision that you are doing the very best for your dog. I know I did the right thing for Java. I gave her back her life and it was worth every minute(and every penny) of it to see her running through the snow again.

Gina, Java & Moka
    Last edited by javasmom; 02-04-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Wow to javasmom, you have sure been through it with your baby. I can't believe how similar your story is too ours. I think there is more hope with Cooper than I am letting myself believe, and Java is a prime example and young like Cooper too. Even my vet said that his knee issues may be a result of his shoulder problems. That he was transferring his weight due to pain, you said Java was the opposite so that might be a good point. I am getting him off puppy food and will be working on getting a few pounds off of him. Surgery on his shoulders is this morning, wish him luck!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Great Post Gina!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoopersMomma View Post
    Wow to javasmom, you have sure been through it with your baby. I can't believe how similar your story is too ours. I think there is more hope with Cooper than I am letting myself believe, and Java is a prime example and young like Cooper too. Even my vet said that his knee issues may be a result of his shoulder problems. That he was transferring his weight due to pain, you said Java was the opposite so that might be a good point. I am getting him off puppy food and will be working on getting a few pounds off of him. Surgery on his shoulders is this morning, wish him luck!
    You have to let yourself hope that everything will turn out ok, otherwise why bother doing it? Dogs are amazing-more amazing than I realized until Moka and Java. I think Cooper is going to surprise you. Don't rule out Cooper being an athletic, happy retrieving lab...believe in him and believe that you are doing the right thing for him, as difficult as that may seem right now. No one wants to put their babies through multiple surgeries, but it's the right thing to do by Cooper to give him that chance at a normal dog life. 4 ortho surgeries does seem like alot, overwhelming, but don't look at it that way-just take it one thing at a time and go from there. Deal with one issue at a time.
    We did these surgeries for Java so that she could be a normal dog again-you have to go into it with that attitude, otherwise there is no point. Did you look at the pictures of Java? Does that look like a lay-by-the-fire dog to you? Does she look like she's in pain or suffering? She's by far the happiest dog I know...and that's why I put her through those surgeries. To see that look on her face again.

Here's another picture of Java taken in the fall, before all the snow....https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...15k-later.html
    How does she look to you??? This picture was after both knee surgeries...about 5 months after her second surgery. She looks perfect to me!!

Let us know how the surgery goes!!
    Best wishes for Cooper!!
    Last edited by javasmom; 02-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast