siezues and diet

Thread: siezues and diet

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Defaultsiezues and diet

A friend was asking me about what the best diet would be for her lab-mix that has occaisonal seizures. The vet hasn't put her dog on meds because they are infrequent and they can't find the trigger. They want to stay on commercial food and have fed Pro Plan on my recommendation. My quick research on the problem makes it seem like going with one of the more "natural" foods would be a good idea, but some seem so low in fat and in protein, I wonder if they are any good for a long term maintenance diet. I like more fat for my labs.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I can't help there much but I was just on the dogtorj.com site and he has some interesting stuff to say about diet and seizures.
    I remember that Cholodin, which I used for my older girls (esp when I had one w/ LP) is a good neuro supplement. I'd be trying to do all I could to support neurological health.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Cholodin did come up in my research as well as supplementing Vit. C and Prozyme.

I feel a bit useless since my dogs are all healthy and I use Pro Plan as all mine do great on it, but she comes to me because I have so many dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

We had some clients at a previous practice I worked at who switched to a "natural" diet (Blue Buffalo, hardly natural IMO) and their dog's seizures stopped. Most of what I hear is that there may (no real evidence) be a link between seizures and a food sensitivity, so when people switch to a "natural" food they're really just eliminating the offending ingredient. If it were my dog I would look for a natural food with a novel protein to my dog. This might take a little research back to what she ate as a puppy. Every formula of ProPlan Selects has chicken in it - so I'd avoid all poultry (duck and turkey as well since they can cross-react), if she's on beef I'd avoid buffalo, on salmon I'd avoid fish. For OTC limited ingredient diets I really like the Wellness Simple Solutions. They have so few ingredients and additives while still being nutritionally complete it's easy to see, IMO, how a dog is doing and pinpoint possible culprits if the problem continues. If they're going to try it they should try to avoid giving any other treats, rawhides, etc. for at least 8 weeks to see if there's a difference. Hope she can find something that helps

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I feed my seizure dog proplan now. I don't like most other foods/diets out there so I honestly feel my choices are limited. I switched him to Royal Canin a few months back and he had been having seizures again. I did some homework and found rosemary extract is known to trigger in humans and pets. So immediately we switched!
    I would look to environmental or some other trigger (treats - be it human or pet). keep a diary log.
    How long has the dog been on the meds? Maybe they need adjusting? I just had to increase our dosage after almost a year.
    Kim

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Bogey has the rare focal siezure...not grandmal or even close. He had more of them when on a certian food. But I too went more natural hoping it would make a difference.
    He did well on Blue Buffalo, but he then had soft stool for quite a while....so I went to TOTW and he hasnt had one in a year. Food or not? I dont know. But right now he seems perfect so Im sticking with it.

Hope she figures it out, its a terrible thing.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli