Don't know what to do

Thread: Don't know what to do

pheobe is offline Junior Member

DefaultDon't know what to do

My Chocolate labrador is so scared of the vet she has become untreatable. I don't know what to do to stop her being so scared. She has an ear infection, elbow dysplacia and inflamation of the pancreas. The vets can't get near her even with a muzzle on. The vets don't really give me any suggestions of what to do to make it easier for all concerned.
    Has anyone got any suggestions.
    Last edited by pheobe; 01-29-2011 at 04:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'd start haning out in the vet's waiting room with lots of treats. Simply sit there with her, and treat when she's relaxed, even if it's just a split second. Anytime she approaches anyone, have them give her a treat- even if all she does is toch them with her nose and backs up.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

The only thing that comes to my mind is to find a veterinary chiropractor in/near your area and take her for a couple of spinal adjustments first....and then maybe switch to that veterinarian.

Doctors, worldwide, certified in animal chiropractic by the American Veterinary Chiropractic Association

This is why: My Auggie (RIP) learned early on that 'vet was bad - shots, spay...nothing "good" happened there'. Then one day Auggie appeared just "off", so I took her in and my vet, who had just completed training and taken and past the exam in veterinary chiropractic, gave her an 'adjustment'.
    The next time we went to that vet, right out of the car she began pulling on the leash towards the door to the clinic, and inside when she caught sight of "Dr. Dale" she made an absolute ass of herself: wiggling, whining, groveling at his feet, and then jumping up on him (this from a novice class obedience dog!) she was soooo glad to see him. And she was like that at that vet's office forever more - just overjoyed to see him.
    Last edited by talleyJudy; 01-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

what mick's mom said, but I'd break it down even further: First week, every day, walk by the clinic door, reward reward reward (high value rewards that she doesn't get at any other time), and then take her to the park. Next week, enter the door, reward, immediately leave, then to the park. Work up to longer and longer stays in the waiting room, then add in the exam room (assuming the clinic staff is okay with this - if they are NOT okay, personally I'd be looking for another vet - find out when they are the least busy and work with them at this time) Take it at pheobe's pace, let HER tell you when she's ready to advance things - forcing the issue is just going to convince her that she's correct, there's something to be afraid of.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Not sure about what is available in your area, but some cities also have vets that do housecalls, and that might be another option for you to consider.