Luxating Patella - surgery on Monday...

Thread: Luxating Patella - surgery on Monday...

SirOscar is offline Junior Member

DefaultLuxating Patella - surgery on Monday...

My chocolate lab, Oscar, was diagnosed with luxating patella earlier this month. He has surgery scheduled for Monday.

Heís 1.5 years old and 95lbs. I was just wondering if anyone has gone through with the surgery for their lab and how you (and your dog) did afterward. Iím nervous about after and how weíre going to care for him after (I definitely canít carry him up and down stairs). He is kennel trained so that will make it easier, I'm just worried about how much pain he'll be in and how I can make him more comfortable. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

I'm also interested in a few months down the road how your dog recovered and if they are "back to normal".

Iíve been blogging about it if you want more specific details on what happened: The Life of Sigh
    Thanks!!
    Melissa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I've not had this. It's not something we see a lot in Labs, mostly just in toy dogs. The vets should give you pain meds for him. If they don't, ask for them.

Laura

Scout is offline Junior Member

Hi Melissa

Scout was diagnosed with bilateral MPL at 9 mos old. She had surgery on the right knee at 1 yr (grade 4), left knee was done when she was 2 yrs (grade 3). She'll be 7 in a couple of months, and her knees are good. She has an active life - loves to retrieve a bumper, swim, hike the trails near us. I think she would have really enjoyed agility, but my vet cautioned against activities that involve high speed turns. The one exception - an occassional butt tuck. Her knees have held up just fine for those.

Scout was on Metacam after her surgeries for the pain. She was on crate rest for about 4 - 6 weeks after each surgery. Out of the crate for potty breaks only. Leash and collar to control the front end, rolled up towel looped under her belly to tether her back end and take some weight off her knees. Short leash walks started after that. I think it was at 2 1/2 - 3 months post op when she was allowed unrestricted exercise - she could walk around our fenced backyard. I do remember how out of shape she then, no stamina. It really bothered me to see her so tired after a short walk to the mail box and back. But within a couple of weeks of gradually increasing exercise, her stamina and strength picked up and she showed her puppy energy again.

The ortho vet and my regular vet both stressed don't ever let her get heavy. Scout is smaller, so I try to keep her @ 56 lbs.

All the best to Oscar on Monday - you too.
    Judith

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

No experience here just wanted to send some good thoughts your way!

SirOscar is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the well wishes!

Judith - that really helps, thanks! I will have to keep that towel trick in mind. Oscar is currently on Metacam, and I expect that will continue after the surgery. I'm so glad you dog is doing great and living a wonderful lifestyle - exactly what I want for Oscar! He is a really big dog, and isn't overweight, but we are definitely not allowing him to get any heavier.
    Melissa

Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones
    http://audibleexhalation.blogspot.com/