Cold Water Tail concern
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Water Tail concern

DiMacQ is offline Junior Member

DefaultCold Water Tail concern

I was at the vet yesterday for the 3rd episode of Cold Water Tail. This was the first time it was ever diagnosed and I was handed a print out of Cold Water Tail.

However... the vet was insisting it was because he had very large full anal glands. This made no sense to me as it seems to be like a pinched nerve in a person. Nothing I can find on this condition has blamed the condition on anal glands, causing neurological damage and affecting the tail. She also talked about tail damage while in this condition and how one lab had to have it's tail amputated??? She also said that an option, but not a good one, would be to remove his anal glands.

And yes... he did go swimming in a pond and then pool earlier in the day!

Has anyone EVER heard of this connection. I am losing faith in my vet in a hurry! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

To my knowledge Cold Tail and anal glands are totally unrelated. Cold tail does not lead to amputation certainly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

georgie is offline Senior Member

All three of my girls have had "cold tail" at one time or another. With rest, it is usually resolved in a couple of days. Never heard of it being related to anal glands.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    To my knowledge Cold Tail and anal glands are totally unrelated. Cold tail does not lead to amputation certainly.
    This. The only thing I would add is find a new vet.

Laura

Thanks for the feedback.

Labby - I did get frustrated listening to this vet and even said, "You're the vet, and I brought him here to you, but this makes no sense to me". Yes it is time for a new vet as this is not the first time I felt that she had no idea what she was talking about.

Happy to report... approximately 48 hours after it started, it's all better! He's eating, playing, happy!

Georgie - Interesting that your 3 girls all get it. I have 3 and only 1 has gotten it. It's happened to him 4 times and never to the other 2. Gorgeous girls by the way!

BigBrownDog - good to know that info was bogus, and he gets to keep his tail!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A lot of vets have never heard of cold tail - so this one is ahead of things in that respect. But clearly he/she has it wrong.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiMacQ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Labby - I did get frustrated listening to this vet and even said, "You're the vet, and I brought him here to you, but this makes no sense to me". Yes it is time for a new vet as this is not the first time I felt that she had no idea what she was talking about.
    As I like to remind people, someone had to graduate at the bottom of their class. Not all vets are created equal, unfortunately.

Laura

hark67 is offline Senior Member

I am certainly no vet and I have no personal experience with cold tail but just wanted to say that there is at least one case of a dog having it's tail amputated after a case of cold tail...her tail (and I am quoting her owner) just "withered and fell off in chunks before our eyes" I met this dog and her owner at a hunt test this summer and have pictures of her beautiful stubby tailed lab.
    Just to clarify though....this pup has a hereditary bone disease that they believe likely had effected the vertebrae in her tail causing it to be misshapen and making a simple case of cold tail much more complicated. They believe the inflammation from it was enough to cut off the circulation completely. Strange but true.

The case I was told about, was an amputation due to the dog banging her tail on the sides of her crate, while it was limp. I guess you do have to be very careful with them when the tail is hanging. When Beau has it, he is pathetic and only wants to curl up... can't imagine him hurting it. Thankfully all symptoms were gone within 48 hours - like nothing had happened!

Dani is offline Senior Member

That's interesting OP, because I've never seen a dog with cold be able to bang or wag it at all. What you're describing is called Happy Tail. And it can and does regularly cause amputation. That is when the dog wags it's tail, causes a a cut open or a wound, and it continues to not heal because it's continually being broken open due the fact that Labs are just so darn happy. Well, we had a foster lab that was emaciated and had a horrible case of happy tail that every time it would bust open, it would look like a murder scene in my house. So...after many weeks of trying to heal it, it was decided by our vets that it was in Slim's best interest to have half of his tail amputated.

Again, that has nothing to do with cold tail. Perhaps your vet is getting these two things mixed up. At any rate, I'd get a new one. :-)
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast