Hypercalcemia and my bestest buddy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypercalcemia and my bestest buddy

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

DefaultHypercalcemia and my bestest buddy

So Rhys' calcium is now at a dangerous level. He was high in November at 11, but now he's over 14, and thats considered lethal.

The vet gave him IV saline, and prescribed him Lasix to help him get rid of the excess calcium in his urine, but I just think there should be something else I can give him, like a supplement. I've been researching for a while, and can't find anything else.

And yes, he's had a thorough vet check and we know what is causing the high calcium...there's just not a lot we can do to 'fix' that, so we're treating the symptoms, not the cause.

Anyone?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Wish I could help - but I can say prayers and will do so!

lisa is offline Senior Member

Sorry no help...but lots of prayers for Rhys.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I don't know of any supplements Is he on prednisone with the fluids and diuretic? That or some bisphosphonate (Pamidronate is the one I know of as being used palliatively to treat hypercalcemia of malignancy) would be the only other things I've heard of. Do you have a homeopathic vet near you? They might have a suggestion. Good thoughts for you and Rhys.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Prayers for your sweet boy.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    I don't know of any supplements Is he on prednisone with the fluids and diuretic? That or some bisphosphonate (Pamidronate is the one I know of as being used palliatively to treat hypercalcemia of malignancy) would be the only other things I've heard of. Do you have a homeopathic vet near you? They might have a suggestion. Good thoughts for you and Rhys.
    He was on Pred, but its cyclical because if he stays on it for extended periods of time its effects wane.

I am going to do a little playing around on my own. I was told to take him off the raw diet, because of the effects of the meat on the parathyroid? (the one time I didn't bring a book to write in! I thought he was doing phenomenal!) So we're going to toy with a bit of 'Momma science'...as my vet calls it, and up his phosphorous intake.

He's to get saline three times a week until he's retested in two weeks...so I'll keep you updated!
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Have they looked at his thyroid? Not that humans are the same as dogs in some medical respects, but my mom was having a problem where she had too much calcium in her blood. Naturally as an elderly woman, she was taking calcium supplements, but even more was just flushing out. Turns out she had some kind of tumor on her thyroid and once that was removed, things were better again.

It might be worth asking the vet about.

His thyroid is normal. The main cause of hypercalcemia in dogs is CANCER. He has cancer, specifically lymphoma, which he has. And...anal gland tumors. The second biggest cause is kidney failure. Check. His kidneys have been in failure mode for years.

There's not a lot we can do even if it was his thyroid. So we're just treating the excess calcium. I'm researching foods that, get this, have a calcium/phosphorous imbalance. LOL

On the phone now with Purina Veterinary Diets spokesgirl. She's a twit.
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Melissa, can you get a veterinary nutritionist to design a home-cooked a high P and low Ca diet? Ours does renal failure diets for those who don't want to feed Rx foods and all sorts of other conditions. Perhaps your vet could get a free consult by calling for you?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

labby is offline Senior Member

I have no clue, Melissa. Best wishes for Rhys.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast