Biting and Itching!

Thread: Biting and Itching!

bellaaa is offline Junior Member

UnhappyBiting and Itching!

My poor Bella has been biting and itching alot lately! First instinct- Fleas of course. We saw fleas on her so We got her Frontline, which worked a little but the itching persisted. After using all the Frontline, we switched to K9 Advantix, and we can't find any fleas on her [she's very very light so its not too hard], we give her a bath weekly, yet she is still itching. By her tail is a little raw from her biting it so much I'm calling her vet tomorrow, but for now- Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

A bath weekly jumped right out at me. A Lab hardly needs a bath at all and a bath weekly surely has dried out her skin tremendously. What are you using for the bath? Neither of mine has had a bath in a long time (Blaise since 11/09 and Diesel since his last skunk encounter - probably in 2008). They both are quite clean and smell good. Often dogs who smell doggy are ones who are bathed too often.

Going to the vet is a good idea. It could be an environmental allergy or food based or what you are using to shampoo her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

Could be an allergy....stop the bathing. I had my first lab for 13 1/2 years, I think she had 3 baths in her life time. Labs generally don't need to bath often. Gracie and Lola have never had a bath yet....and they smell just fine.

Casey, my first lab was always itchy...it was allergy related, numerous allergies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others- too much bathing can make them itchy. Try brushing her more often. Brushing will help encourage skin oil production. Plus, she could be allergic to fleas, in which case it would take just a bite from one to cause a reaction. I swear, all our old guy had to do was see a flea and he was scratching and chewing. Something else that jumped out at me was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by bellaaa View Post
    ...After using all the Frontline, we switched to K9 Advantix...
    How often did you apply the Frontline and Advantix? They aren't supposed to be applied more than once a month.

Oh- another thought about the fleas- if you found some on Bella, there is probably some in your house. Put a small piece of flea collar in your vacuum bag (or canister if you have a bagless vacuum) then vacuum. Fleas will live and reproduce in your vacuum. This little trick will kill them.

HM didn't know that about the vacuum. Good to know. The frequent bathing was in hopes of killing the fleas but that makes sense that her skin has dried out. I never thought of that- DUH! Haha We have bug bombed a couple times but they keep coming back. Apparently our roommate's lab and other roommate's german shepherd have fleas also so thats probably why they keep coming back. I'll see what her vets opinion is tomorrow!

Thanks for the help!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bellaaa View Post
    HM didn't know that about the vacuum. Good to know. The frequent bathing was in hopes of killing the fleas but that makes sense that her skin has dried out. I never thought of that- DUH! Haha We have bug bombed a couple times but they keep coming back. Apparently our roommate's lab and other roommate's german shepherd have fleas also so thats probably why they keep coming back. I'll see what her vets opinion is tomorrow!

Thanks for the help!
    If you have multiple dogs in a household (whether they are yours or not) they all need to be treated for fleas. Otherwise it will be an endless problem.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Yes I'm aware that they spread- I just didnt know that our roommate's dogs had fleas. I don't see the other roomates or their dogs that much because while the roommates are at work/school they take their dogs to their parents' houses. I feel so dumb about the bathing thing- It never crossed my mind that could be one of the causes of her itching.

Thanks for the help!

Shanna Houdini is offline Senior Member

I had adopted a rescue once (Cocker) that had horrible itchy problems. The rescue had him on Benadryl. After doing a bit of reading up on this itchy problem, I tried a dog food change (Royal Canine). IT WORKED. I payed a little more for the food, but it was well worth it. Just adding this comment, in the event that the flea issue is resolved, but the itching is not.

I will keep that in mind over the next couple days while the other dogs at the house are treated for their fleas and we get the house rid of fleas. Her itching and biting herself makes me so sad for her because I know she must be so uncomfortable! I myself hate being itchy so I cant imagine how she must feel!

Thank you for the tip!