Doesn't like her food

Thread: Doesn't like her food

Calvey is offline Junior Member

DefaultDoesn't like her food

i have a 6mo old lab and when she was at the breeder she ate Iams large puppy. I switched her to Wellness large puppy and she has been on it for about 3 months. She eats it but she clearly doesnt seem to like it. She is not throwing it up or anything. Suggestions on next steps...I know there are other brands and have read about them but not sure what might be the best course. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2CrazyDogs is offline Member

With our previous dogs we would pick 2-3 brands around the same price and switch between them (as long as the dog did well). I know it's not necessary to do so but I would get bored eating the same thing over and over again :P.

Angel- Lab/Boxer/Husky
    Demon- Lab/Boxer/GSD
    ~Ashley~

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2CrazyDogs View Post
    With our previous dogs we would pick 2-3 brands around the same price and switch between them (as long as the dog did well). I know it's not necessary to do so but I would get bored eating the same thing over and over again :P.
    Dogs really don't need variety like people do. A lot of switching can backfire with gastro problems at worst and create a picky eater. Any switching between foods needs to happen gradually over a couple of weeks (gradually decreasing the old food and increasing the new food in the mix).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calvey View Post
    i have a 6mo old lab and when she was at the breeder she ate Iams large puppy. I switched her to Wellness large puppy and she has been on it for about 3 months. She eats it but she clearly doesnt seem to like it. She is not throwing it up or anything. Suggestions on next steps...I know there are other brands and have read about them but not sure what might be the best course. Thanks
    If she is eating her food, what makes you think she does not like it? Just curious. She may just not be an enthusiastic eater.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with BigBrownDog's comments.

Also, your Lab is getting close to the developmental age when they should decrease the amount they routinely eat. Below is a copy of a post on this I've previously made:

================================================== =============

Around 7-9 months is when many puppies need to have the amount of food they eat reduced.

So it may NOT be her dislike of the food but, rather, a needed natural reduction in amount of food eaten.

Very young puppies (say 8 wks age) need to eat about 2X the amount that an adult dog of that same weight would need. As they grow older and as they come closer to their adult weight, that decreases to 1X. (See Puppy Nutrition in the UC-Davis "Book of Dogs.")

When Puff was about 8 months old, she weighed 50 lbs of her eventual adult weight of 62 lbs. She'd started eating about 1 cup/day total when she was 6 lbs (@ 9 wks age). That had gradually increased to 5 cups/day (over 2 meals) when she was about 8 months age.

Then she began skipping meals. Sometimes for a day or more. When she began eating again, she ate a reduced amount so I gave her that amount. Then after a bit she'd stop eating again and when she resumed, it was again a reduced amount. We kept going through these stages until she got down to a little over 2 cups/day total.

It was through this that I discovered my Puff is largely a self-regulator of her food intake. That puts her in the minority; most Labs are gluttons and some could easily kill or injure themselves by over-eating if given a chance. Self-regulating (according to a JL poll I ran about 6 years ago, responded to by about 70 owners) is only found in about 10% of Labs. And, at that, it applies only to regular kibble and not to specially enticing treats such as steak, fish, cat food, cheese, horse manure, etc.

So, consider the possibility that it may NOT be that she dislikes the food but rather that she's somewhat of a self-regulator, is sufficiently full, and now needs to begin reducing the amount of her daily food intake.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I too was wondering why you think the dog doesn't like the food. And as Bob mentioned, some dogs actually will need less food and cut themselves back. Hudler was like that when he was young. Jed is like that now. When Jed gets picky now, I cut him back a whole cup of food a meal.

Calvey is offline Junior Member

Thanks all - I don't have a specific reason to say she doesn't like it. Just she used to love to eat and now it is like ok, i'm hungry i guess i will eat it. Perhaps it is part of her growing phase.