Weight gain on diet?

Thread: Weight gain on diet?

OSUlab is offline Junior Member

DefaultWeight gain on diet?

I have a ~4 year old yellow lab that I rescued last July. He is a big boy and when I last had him at the vet in November he weighed in at 119. My vet wanted to see him closer to 100 so he went on a diet. I switched him from Pedigree to Purina One lamb and rice and cut his portions to about half of what he was previously eating. He gets 2 measuring cups in the a.m. and 2.5 at night. He gets very little in the way of snacks and gets absolutely zero people food or scraps.

I know I need to exercise him more but I would have figured the diet alone would have lead to some weight loss. He definitely looks thinner now but is still a large animal.

Do any of you have any ideas what would cause this kind of weight gain? I am going to take him to his vet next week to talk about this but I thought I would check with all of you too.

Thanks
    Chris
    Proud new owner of Rocky. A big 'ol yellow lab. Rescued from http://www.labrescue.net/Tulsa Lab Rescue .

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Oh, I'd say that's WAY too much food. My lab gets 3 cups a day (1.5c per feeding) and that's a maintenance diet. To lose weight, you would need less.

OSUlab is offline Junior Member

The bag on the food says to feed him at least 5.5 cups. And I know those are wrong so my vet said to cut it down from there so I have been giving him 4.5 cups. I am now going to cut him down to 4 cups but I don't know if less than that is too little for a dog his size.
    Proud new owner of Rocky. A big 'ol yellow lab. Rescued from http://www.labrescue.net/Tulsa Lab Rescue .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

My males get approx. 3 to 3½ cups of food PER DAY. I'd say you're feeding him too much.

Laura

Nick is offline Senior Member

1. When the vet told you to get him thinner, did he also fully examine Rocky? I would want to make sure his thyroid is functioning properly and there are no medical reasons for the weight gain.

2. What's on the bag is usually too much, and is also just a guideline. If he's gaining weight, then he's consuming more calories than he's burning. You don't want to starve him, but if there are no other medical reasons, then exercise needs to be upped, and calories decreased. A nice, slow weight loss is ideal, and how much food you need to feed will just be trial and error (and probably weekly weigh ins until you get an idea of what amount he needs). Some people just observe their overall body condition, but it may be able to tell if he's dropped 1 pound in a week when he's 119 lbs. It may take several weeks, and when you're trying to fine tune the food amount, you just need more information than that.

If he starts losing weight at a reasonable rate, but acts like he's starving (which he's used to eating a lot, and Labs always act starved anyways), then you can always add some low calorie treats like carrots, or add some canned green beans to his food. Just keep track of the calories added, so that the "extras" don't add up.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-14-2011 at 04:49 PM.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Wow-that is alot of food.
    When I put Java on a diet after her knee surgeries (she was at 75 lbs) she was only getting 1 1/4 cups of food per day. 3/4 c in the morning, and 1/2 a cup at night with a can of salt free green beans added to her dinner.
    Java is now just over 60 lbs..she's lost 15 lbs since March.
    I'd say cut back further on the food, to maybe 3 1/2 cups and add in some canned no salt green beans to help keep him feeling full.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Forget the side of the bag. My 100# male gets 1 rounded up in the AM and 1 rounded cut in the PM. When I think he's getting too chubby, he gets the rounded bit knocked off.

I would also have the vet check his thyroid. My 2 oldest have thyroid issues, and they get 1 pill with each meal, and it's made a big difference. Hudler went from 122 at his heaviest (after his neuter last winter) to 98# at this last check up.