to switch or not to switch?

Thread: to switch or not to switch?

arygg123 is offline Junior Member

Defaultto switch or not to switch?

hi i have a 12 week old lab and the kennel i got him from gave me a bag of natures select dog food. ive done some research and i dont think its very popular among others. im just about done with the bag, do you guys suggest i switch or should i just order him another bag (they dont sell it in stores)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Whether you switch or not, you need to do it gradually - transitioning from one food to another can't happen cold turkey unless you want your puppy to have gastro issues. So, you have to get another bag anyway.

I don't really know anything about this food. Popularity should not be a measure of value - is the food good nutrition or not? I would be very hesitant to not use the breeders food choice unless it was really crappy food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dani is offline Senior Member

is the dog having any problem with the food? if not, then no. Don't second guess your breeder's food choice...they know their own dogs well.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

Is THIS it?

I don't know which specific variety you're feeding, but I don't see any major red flags (other than there's something about these types of business plans that do make me a little uneasy. It just seems weird to insist on selling through private distributors like this, instead of in-store). It looks like a regional food, and some of those foods can be very good foods. Listen to your dog. If he's doing well on the food, that's all that matters.

thanks a lot guys. and yes, nick thats why im sort of hesitant, if its such a great food why isnt it sold in stores?? but my dogs doing fine so i guess i will just follow through.
    heres a link to the specific formula. its the first one Healthy Dog Food Cat Food Delivery

thanks a lot guys. and yes, nick thats why im sort of hesitant, if its such a great food why isnt it sold in stores?? but my dogs doing fine so i guess i will just follow through.
    heres a link to the specific formula. its the first one Healthy Dog Food Cat Food Delivery

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree, popularity of food should not be your criteria. If the dog is doing well on it, it might not be best to switch. Unless it's a huge headache to get it. I wean my pups on something that folks can buy just about anywhere there is a Petco or Petsmart, so that it's easy for them.

My feeling is if the dog is doing OK, and it's not an issue for you to get it, continue on the food. There are so many folks that have dogs that do horribly on just about every food they try, I just wouldn't want to mess with a good thing if you got it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Ask the manufacturer what the Calcium & Phosphorus percentages are. For better long term development of joints, these should be around 1% (e.g., say Ph = .9, Ca = 1.2). Higher %ages lead to increasing problems with joints.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748