First time lab owner, super itchy ears!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread: First time lab owner, super itchy ears!!!!!!!!!!!

twsnow18 is offline Member

ExclamationFirst time lab owner, super itchy ears!!!!!!!!!!!

My black lab pup is 9 weeks old, he itches his ears like crazy and sometimes whimpers. How do I tell the difference between gunk, mites or an ear infection? Today I mixed up 1/2 cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide and sprayed it on cotton balls. Then I swabbed out his ears really well then used dry cotton balls to soak it up. Is this correct? Any suggestions or input if this is right or wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by twsnow18 View Post
    My black lab pup is 9 weeks old, he itches his ears like crazy and sometimes whimpers. How do I tell the difference between gunk, mites or an ear infection? Today I mixed up 1/2 cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide and sprayed it on cotton balls. Then I swabbed out his ears really well then used dry cotton balls to soak it up. Is this correct? Any suggestions or input if this is right or wrong?
    You may be able to see little white moving specks that are the ear mites if that is what he has. Clearly it is not just "gunk" if he is whimpering and itching, so you should take him to a vet. Cleaning his ears alone is not going to get rid of an infection or mites. If the vet determines it is an infection, look into Zymox Otic to treat it, works great and is enzyme based, not conventional antibiotics.

anomad is offline Junior Member

I use ChlorHexiDerm from my vet for regular ear cleaning (weekly) to flush and wipe down the ears with gauze. Your vet can show you how to do it properly.
    I also use MalOtic cream, sometimes the regular cleaning isn't enough. Guinness is prone to ear infections in his right ear.

The home brew and pet store remedies I've tried have not been effective. But the stuff from the vet is cheap and lasts a long time. A box of sterile gauze at walmart is cheap too. (use a fresh piece for each ear so you don't inoculate a healthy ear after touching a dirty one) Paper towels will do in a pinch, but they can leave lint behind. When the ears are healthy there shouldn't be any "gunk" in there to speak of. Guinness gets a treat after cleaning, so he loves "having his ears done".

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would take your pup to the vet for an ear check. They can rule out mites, infection etc. Good luck.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Take him to the vet, and nip this in the bud. At 9 weeks he should have NO issues. What is he eating?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Please do not use anything Chlorhexidine-based in ears, it is ototoxic and can cause deafness. There are literally hundreds of safe ear cleaners for dogs - there is NO excuse to ever use Chlorhexidine in ears.

The best way to tell if your dog has mites, infection, etc. in ears? Trip to the vet for ear cytology Hope your pup is feeling better soon, it's no fun to watch them constantly scratching.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

lisa is offline Senior Member

A trip to the vet to rule out infection or mites. Lola had an ear infection at about the same age, the vet gave me some medication for her ear...sorry can't remember which one, and it was cleared up in no time. She has had not trouble since them. I would try to nip this in the bud. Good luck and hope your pup is feeling better soon.

BIGDOG247 is offline Junior Member

There is a medicine that you can use called Dr.Dogs ear Oil. Its all natural and cures ear mites and ear infections in dogs and cats. My wife adopted 2 cats from a shelter and they came home with ear mites and gave them to our lab. I looked around and found this stuff and it works great. i would not use vinegar or peroxide or alchohol things like that can burn or sting your dogs ears!! This stuff is soothing and works wonderful try it! here is the place Dog Ear Infection Treatment - Ear Drops for Dogs

PiperMom is offline Junior Member

I had nightmare ear issues with my lab Aspen before she passed and the best thing that we found that worked was the ear wash from the Dr. and Otimax (spelling?). For weekly maintance I used the wash and Sweet Oil from the Nature Sun. Now Piper we just clean and we have no issues. I would go the vet ASAP.

twsnow18 is offline Member

I appreciate all of the replies to this thread. I took care of the problem about a month ago when I posted this, he is almost 15 weeks now. The vet gave me Otomax, I think is what it's called, he ended up having an infection in one ear but that stuff worked like a charm and he has not itched at them since.