labs recent attitude change is a huge concern

Thread: labs recent attitude change is a huge concern

ttrain84 is offline Junior Member

Defaultlabs recent attitude change is a huge concern

I have a 2 year old lab (Mojo) that we have had since he was 8 weeks old and the last week or so he has been acting out of character. Prior to his acting this way we left him with family for about 2 weeks while we went to visit family out of state. The home we left him in also has a Labrador. When we returned from vacation he was very excited to see us but once we got home he seems to be withdrawn, is cowering a lot, and doesn't eat like he used to. Then earlier today when my wife told him to get away from the table he nipped her leg. He has never acted like this before and his new attitude concerns me since I have two kids at home (6 and 4).
    Any ideas on what it might be or what I can do to get him back to his old self??

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ttrain84; 01-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your first act should be a complete vet check up. Get him checked for Lyme - when my dog had Lyme she was very achy/in pain and acted depressed. If he checks out OK - I would wonder what happened to him at the place you left him.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 01-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

what sharon said. i'd be on the phone with whoever it was that was looking after him - in a non-confrontational way- to find out if anything happened.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree, that is odd. I DO see abit of a change with my dog when I leave (particularly this past little bit as I travelled for work and for holidays throughout december so Rocky has been abit off lately, but slight changes) but nothing like nipping or being completely different. (little things like he will cuddle more, be more alert).

the above recommendation is great, see a vet and maybe have a longer converstaion with the dog sitter.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My friend used to leave her Lab with me when they would go away on vacation - and he was very well cared for (albeit fed less since they always gave him their dinner scraps). When they would come home and get him he'd give them the cold shoulder and the stink eye for a few days. A little punishment for leaving him behind.

But that's not what your situation sounds like.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

lisa is offline Senior Member

I agree with above..a vet check and if everything checks out ok, a call to the dog sitters.

ttrain84 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, we have already talked to the people who watched him and they didn't do anything different this time than the last time they watched him for us...so I will be getting him to the vet a soon as we can.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Agree with lyme check. Do the 4 way snap. If that is all negative consider a "full" thyroid panel. One of the symptoms can be personality/behavior changes.