Is my food poisoning my dog?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my food poisoning my dog?

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultIs my food poisoning my dog?

Argh! I am at my wit's end! For those who read this forum a lot, you may know that my 16 week puppy developed soft stool and diarrhea the week before Christmas. Nothing seemed to help until we completely took him off Eukanuba and used Purina GI Food from the Vet's office. He loved it, had nice, hard stools and seemed fine. Last night, we started to reintroduce his food back as the GI food was running out. Sure enough, he suddenly developed diarrhea again. I don't know what to do. My vet doesn't seem to have an overly concerned view of this since he came up negative for parasites. I know there is no blockage and there is no blood in the diarrhea. Sometimes it is very mucousy though.

Is it possible it's the food that is making him sick? He ate it for a month with no problem but does that mean anything? After researching, I realize Eukanuba is crap food now that Proctor and Gamble own it. What should I do? Should I go buy him some better food? I was thinking about "Wellness" or some other more natural/ meat based food.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Assuming that you vet has truly checked him out and there are no parasites or other issues. You found the Purina GI Food resolved the issue, and returning to the Eukanuba brought it back. I would forget the specific Eukenuba fod you are feeding him. Some foods just don't work for some dogs, while others dogs thrive on them. I wouldn't exclude the complete brand, when it just might be one ingredient in the particular variety you chose.

The Purina GI worked! I gues I would try another Purina food. Many of the breeders on the forum feed Purina ProPlan. I guess I would try it. I would also look at the ingredient in the Purina GI and try to avoid ingredients not included there.

Many dogs have issues with Corn and Wheat, try a grain free. I feed HK Costco Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice. She does really well on it.

There are so many choices, over a really wide price range. I would start by avoiding ingredients not included in the Purina GI. Then work from there while keeping track of what you try, and what's in it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

One of my dogs had mucousy poop until I took her off all beef products. Your dog may simply have an issue with one of the ingredients in the Euk. ProPlan makes a sensitive skin and stomach formula. Maybe that will work for you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Maybe try a Pro Plan brand...I know alot the dogs here do well on it, I don't think they recommend the Purina Shreds though. Good luck and keep us posted. Good thoughts and prayers this issue is resolved.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Just curious, did the pup east the same formula of Euk at the breeders before you got it? And if so, what did the breeder say about the diarrhea? If the pup was weaned on the same formula of Euk that you fed since bringing it home, I would be more concerned about it being an undiagnosed medical problem. I had a vet tell me adamantly that my dog did not have giardia but I KNEW what giardia poop looked/smelled like since I had another dog with it. I changed vets and SURPRISE, she had a horrible case of giardia.

labby is offline Senior Member

Eukanuba is not a crap food. It just might not be the right food for your dog. I addressed this issue in your other thread. I guess you didn't read it eh?

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l....html#poststop

Laura

It's not the same food the breeder was feeding him. I wanted to feed him the same food but was unable to find it in my area so I went with the Eukanuba. He was fine for a month and transitioned well (the breeder sent home a little of the food) but then this started. I'm waiting for the vet to call back.

Labby - I did read your post and I did buy some other food today. As for Eukanuba not being crap, after doing some research the past 24 hours, independent dog food testers seem to disagree. Website after website seems to suggest that it's subpar dog food. Apparently, they were purchased by Proctor and Gamble who then changed the formula of Iams and Eukanuba in order to increase profit margins. Apparently, it's chock full of stuff that is not recommended for dogs. That's not to say that other dogs can't tolerate it but when I compare the ingredients of it to other brands, I can definitely see a difference in the quality of items. Unfortunately, I didn't really think or consider any of this when I bought his food the first time.

As for Trooper, my puppy, I'm trying him on the new food while I wait for the vet to call back. He seems to be tolerating it. I hope this is the answer.

Just remember those websites are opinions based on opinions, not any type of scientific testing. There are millions of dogs fed Eukanuba who do wonderfully on the food. I refuse to make any decisions about what I feed my dogs based on opinionated websites. I feed my dogs what works for me and hang what others think. I tried the foods those sites say I should feed and quite frankly my dogs did horrible on them and I thought I was going to lose a couple of them due to the reactions they had from the foods. That's when I decided to feed what works for MY dogs.

Laura

Labby - you're right, I agree that different dogs may interact differently. Hopefully, this is what will do the trick for my pup. Sadly though, my vet doesn't seem to be as concerned as I am (can't tell if that's a good thing or not). I called today and was told I'd get a call back but I've heard nothing yet. Ugh. Right now I'm feeding the new food to him in small meals throughout the day and hoping for a BM soon. Fingers crossed that it's firm. I never dreamed I'd be so concerned about doggie poop.

Quote Originally Posted by swanny320 View Post
    I never dreamed I'd be so concerned about doggie poop.
    Ha, welcome to the club

Laura

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast