Food Issues - Need food recommedation

Thread: Food Issues - Need food recommedation

swanny320 is offline Member

DefaultFood Issues - Need food recommedation

My puppy has been sick for over a week and the vet put him on Purina GI Health for five days. I am now slowly introducing his food back into it and can already tell it's making him feel badly. I'm using Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy and after reading reviews about this, I'm just feeling as if maybe the food is a problem. I'd like to feed him something that doesn't have so much corn in it. Can someone recommend a good, quality food that isn't ridiculously priced (no more than $40-50 for a large bag)?

Also, has anyone had problems with Eukanuba before? The vet didn't seem to act as if this was a bad food but I'm just feeling as if this may be the source of my pups trouble (although, he had been eating it for a month before getting sick). Btw, he was tested and had no parasites or anything like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Are you talking about loose stools and the reason for the GI food? You say he has been sick. What are the symptoms?

Stool samples tested negative? How old is your pup? Are you sure you are not over feeding - this can cause loose stools.

Perhaps a limited ingredient food like California Natural would work if its not an over feeding issue.

swanny320 is offline Member

Yes, he had loose stool and diarrhea (no blood but some mucous). The vet tested him and said he had no internal parasites but suggested we fast him for 24 hours and then start the GI food. Aside from the stool, he seemed to be happy and playful. My puppy is 16 weeks old. As far as overfeeding, I don't think I was...I was feeding him what the vet suggested which was 3 cups a day divided among several feedings; however, I will admit that he was getting quite a few carrots as treats. Maybe the carrots were the problem? Again the vet suggested the carrots as a low fat alternative to treats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I would not suspect the carrotsw causing a problem. They generally come out close to the same way they went down the throat.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.