Question about Calcium levels

Thread: Question about Calcium levels

Robyn1313 is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about Calcium levels

I am currently feeding my 8 month old Lab Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. The calcium level is 1.9 and the phosphurus level is 1.1. I am a little concerned that this may be a bit too high at her age. Any advice?

Thanks
    Robyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Robyn I would call the manufacturer and ask if they recommend the food for growing large breed puppies. The ideal ratio is not higher than 1.2:1 (which that is above). The only grain-free food safe for growing large breed puppies (in terms of Ca:P ratios) is Orijen LB Puppy. If you want to stick with a grain free food I would switch to that.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with the Orijen

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Robyn I would call the manufacturer and ask if they recommend the food for growing large breed puppies. The ideal ratio is not higher than 1.2:1 (which that is above). The only grain-free food safe for growing large breed puppies (in terms of Ca:P ratios) is Orijen LB Puppy. If you want to stick with a grain free food I would switch to that.
    I don't know if it was Bob, Labby, me, or someone else, but I'm almost certain someone has called them and posted that they don't recommend their foods for Lab and large breed puppies. Then again, since I can't even remember who called, I may be thinking of another food.

Personally, I wouldn't feed something with that much calcium to a Lab pup, but I do feed TOTW to my 8 year old.

Robyn1313 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your advice. I felt that it may have too much calcium. She is sensitive to Chicken and Rice. She itches terribly when exposed to either and has runny frequent stools. I will go back to the Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potatoe. The only reason I moved away from it was because it has a really low protien level (21% I think) and she is not thrilled with the taste. I will do some further research and look for something with a much lower calcium level at least until she is 2years old or so.

Thank you for your response. This dog is so special to our family I don't want to do anything to cause her any health problems in the future.

Robyn