need info concerning my black lab 8 yrs old

Thread: need info concerning my black lab 8 yrs old

michelle62005 is offline Junior Member

Smileneed info concerning my black lab 8 yrs old

hello I have a black lab named Dori and she is 8 yrs old i have taken her to the vet and she seems to have tumor masses that dont appear to bother her but she also has a touch of artheritis and told me to buy this 30 jar of joint powder.I curently have her on 4 cups a day of kibbles and bits thats the healthiest cheap food i can find i am wondering with her problem what would be a cheaper joint formula that is good that i could get her on.? We have another dog as well and she plays alot with him. she also plays ball alot so i am wondering just how bad that the fatty tumors could be really. i would appreciate any help thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by michelle62005 View Post
    hello I have a black lab named Dori and she is 8 yrs old i have taken her to the vet and she seems to have tumor masses that dont appear to bother her but she also has a touch of artheritis and told me to buy this 30 jar of joint powder.I curently have her on 4 cups a day of kibbles and bits thats the healthiest cheap food i can find i am wondering with her problem what would be a cheaper joint formula that is good that i could get her on.? We have another dog as well and she plays alot with him. she also plays ball alot so i am wondering just how bad that the fatty tumors could be really. i would appreciate any help thank you.
    I hate to tell you, that is not a healthy food. In fact, it's basically sugar and crap. I understand budgets. Try Iams chunk or mini chunk (in the green bag) instead of the kibbles and bits. It's still an inexpensive food but a heck of a lot better quality than what you're feeding now.

Labs are notorious for fatty tumors. I don't remove my dogs' unless they are in a spot where it causes the dog discomfort or inhibits the dogs' movement.

Is there a Costco or Sams Club near you? I use the Kirkland brand Glucosamine and MSN on my older dogs. It's human form, but cheaper than most dog products. 2 a day and my dogs are doing pretty well. If you don't have a Costco or Sams Club, try something like Move Free that you can buy in any pharmacy.

Laura

thanks for that i will definately try that

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the advice Labby gave you but can add some slightly different alternatives.

For food, if you're a member of a Costco, their Kirkland Chicken & Rice (or similar Lamb & Rice) food for adult dogs is an excellent formula lower cost food. A food with slightly different but with roughly similar formulas (made by the same company) is the brand "Diamond Naturals." (Not plain "Diamond"--that's a cheaper AND much lower grade food.) These are sold in 40 lb. bags for a bit over $28?/bag , the Costco being a few $$ cheaper. I'll ETA Diamond Naturals locator for stores that sell that product: Pet Nutrition Retailers for Diamond Pet Foods

(When there's just a single dog eating, sometimes it's best to transfer the 40 lb. bag's contents into 10-11 sealed one gallon Ziplock freezer bags right after opening the 40 lb. bag to avoid the food becoming stale toward the latter part of the bag. I needed to do this when my Puff was younger but now that she's 9 y.o., her taste buds--like mine--are no longer quite as taste sensitive.)

I've not read any evaluations on Costco's Kirkland Glucosamine & MSM but Consumer Reports has rated their Kirkland Glucosamine & Chondroitin as being the most potent, therapeutically effective, and best $$ value of other G&C products.

My Puff and I have both taken it daily for many years. I've taken G&C for many years to avoid arthritic pain and, before switching to Costco's Kirkland, consistently used the Schiff Move Free brand. [FWIW: While on vacation many years ago, I forgot to take my G&C along. After about 8-10 days without, I began experiencing pain. I bought a new bottle and began taking it immediately but it took over a week to build up enough in my system to be effective.]

Also, as Labby noted, many Labs get fatty tumors. My Puff has 2 and they've both been aspirated and found to be benign at Kansas State's CollVetMed Small Animal Clinic where we go for all our vet work.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 12-28-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

thanks for all your help that s great i will try and look into that diamond natural. i really only have frys and walmart close to me and we have feed stores hear as well

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by michelle62005 View Post
    i really only have frys and walmart close to me and we have feed stores hear as well
    Iams is available at Walmart and most feed stores. While it's not my favorite food on the market, it's a heck of a lot better than the kibbles n bits. You'll find you'll prolly feed less of it than the knb too with less stool.

Laura