Adult Dog Food

Thread: Adult Dog Food

LoveMyAlex is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdult Dog Food

Ok, so today I spent the most time ever in the dog food section trying to figure out what to feed Alex once his food from the humane society runs out. (I know I need to mix it with the new food to get him switched over.)

I read some posts on here in regards to whether or not to feed a 5 months old still puppy food or adult food. So, armed with all this information I was browsing the isles at the Tractor Supply Store.

In the past we fed our older lab Midknight the cheaper dog food (I never realized there was such a big difference). With that in mind I decided to switch Alex to adult and Midknight over to better food, because I figured it would be easier to feed them both the same.

Here is my dilemma: Can I feed my 9 year old food that is intended for dogs 1 to 5 years old or can I give my little guy food that is intended for seniors (my intuition tells me "no" on the latter for sure).

Thanks for your input.
    ~ Penny

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There is no need to feed a special food to your older dog unless there is some sort of medical issue. They can both eat the same food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Nick is offline Senior Member

If you're wanting to feed an adult food to your 5 month old puppy, and the adult, you should stick with a food that has an AAFCO label on it indicating that the food is formulated for all life stages. Something like that, assuming no other problems, could work for both dogs (and I'd echo what was mentioned above, unless there are other health concerns, there's no reason to feed the senior food).

Pet Food Labels - General
    Any claim that a product is "complete," "balanced," "100% nutritious," or claims of a similarly nature that suggests a product is suitable for sole nourishment when it is not, in fact, nutritionally adequate for such purpose is a potentially unsafe product. For this reason, an AAFCO nutritional adequacy statement is one of the most important aspects of a dog or cat food label. A "complete and balanced" pet food must be substantiated for nutritional adequacy by one of two means.

The first method is for the pet food to contain ingredients formulated to provide levels of nutrients that meet an established profile. Presently, the AAFCO Dog or Cat Food Nutrient Profiles are used. Products substantiated by this method should include the words, "(Name of product) is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Dog/Cat) Food Nutrient Profiles." This means the product contains the proper amount of all recognized essential nutrients needed to meet the needs of the healthy animal.

The alternative means of substantiating nutritional adequacy is for the product to be tested using the appropriate AAFCO Feeding Trial Protocol(s). This means that the product, or "lead" member of a "family" of products, has been fed to dogs or cats under strict guidelines and found to provide proper nutrition. These products should bear the nutritional adequacy statement "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that (name of product) provides complete and balanced nutrition."
    Regardless of the method used, the nutritional adequacy statement will also state for which life stage(s) the product is suitable, such as "for maintenance," or "for growth."

A product intended "for all life stages" meets the more stringent nutritional needs for growth and reproduction. A maintenance ration will meet the needs of an adult, non-reproducing dog or cat of normal activity, but may not be sufficient for a growing, reproducing, or hard-working animal. On the other hand, an all life stages ration can be fed for maintenance. Although the higher levels of nutrients would not be harmful to the healthy adult animal, they are not really necessary. Occasionally a product may be labeled for a more specific use or life stage, such as "senior" or for a specific size or breed. However, there is little information as to the true dietary needs of these more specific uses, and no rules governing these types of statements have been established. Thus, a "senior" diet must meet the requirements for adult maintenance, but no more. A product that does not meet either of the methods for substantiation of nutritional adequacy must state that "this product is intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only," unless the product is conspicuously identified as a “snack,” “treat.” or “supplement.”
    Dog Food Standards by the AAFCO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LoveMyAlex is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you're wanting to feed an adult food to your 5 month old puppy, and the adult, you should stick with a food that has an AAFCO label on it indicating that the food is formulated for all life stages. Something like that, assuming no other problems, could work for both dogs (and I'd echo what was mentioned above, unless there are other health concerns, there's no reason to feed the senior food).
    No health issues with the older fella. Thank you both for the information!
    ~ Penny