10 yr old losing use of hind legs

Thread: 10 yr old losing use of hind legs

gdefratus is offline Junior Member

Default10 yr old losing use of hind legs

A week ago today my 10 yr old healthy and not overweight lab was walking side ways and was favoring her right rear leg. Took her to vet and after blood work came back negative vet put her on Rimadyl, Tramadol and Metronidazole and told me to give her plenty of rest. Two days later she could not get up on her hind legs so took her back in and had CT scan done Friday. Results of that have come back negative. Today more blood work being done and Thyroid tests will be done but results will not be back until Wednesday. Surgeons are miffed and I have a dog that doesn't appear to be in pain but has dificulty using rear legs. Any suggestions where I go from here?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Something similar happened when our old guy, Mick was about 13 or so. Turns out he had just moved the wrong way running around the yard and twisted his back. Some anti-inflammatories and rest cured him. He also had laryngeal paralysis, and, as that progressed, he lost the strength in his rear legs due to muscle loss.

Thyroid tests came back negative today. MRI getting done now. I hope this will give me some answers not much left to test.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Here's an update. Results Tue from MRI revealed some strand of Meningitis. Today nuerologist confirmed that she has Eosinophilic Meningitis. Since Tue evening she has been treating her for Meningitis and my labs started to lose use of front legs on Wed but has been eating normal with no seizures or respiratory problems. We are continuing to moniter her and I am hoping someone in this forum has gone through similiar experience with their lab. Neurologist feels that imflammation is causing pressure on the nerves and that is causing her loss of the use of her legs and we are hoping that medication and muscle therapy will relieve that pressure so she will start using her legs again. I have been on a 24hr decision making process through this whole ordeal and we are hoping that she will start improving instead of declining like she has the past week now that we know whats wrong with her. Any advise or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully this will help someone else that was in my situation. My Sadie has been in same condition for 3 days not having use of her front or hind legs but was eating fine. Recieved a call from clinic tonight that she had a seizure which was her first since this ordeal has started and has not shown any improvement since diagnosis and medication treatment so I decided to let her go. I will surely miss her more than she will ever know. Thanks to you that replied to my post.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss Rest in peace Sadie.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy