Our Yellow is down in the dumps

Thread: Our Yellow is down in the dumps

pcm25 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOur Yellow is down in the dumps

Chance turned two in mid-November. She is a large girl, close to 90 pounds. She has clear hips (xray) and had ACL surgery in July. We have changed a lot of plans since July to keep her "down" and "quiet" so the knee would heal.

She's been doing quite well and for two weeks we had our daughter-in-law and two grandbabies living with us. The kiddos are 1 and 2. It was a crazy time but a good time.

Last Friday was Ella's first birthday so we had quite a gathering and decided to board Chance for the night to eliminate one "problem". We dropped her off as late as possible Firday, told them to limit her activity, and picked her up Sat morning. This kennel prides itself on "letting the dogs out." We picked her up and she was excited to see us. She was limping a little but she always was stiff, even before her knee problems.

That morning, also, the kiddos left us.

We brought her home, Sat. noon, and she inhaled her meal as usual after visiting that kennel.

From them on she was a blob. Sleeping. Not lively. She would go out, but after that Sat noon eating, she didn't eat again until Tuesday morning (and it was Monday night's food). She looked sad. Her disposition hadn't changed. We think she tweaked her knee but we can handle it, rub it, and that seems to be getting better.

So last night we were talking about it and decided to call the vet today if no change. Then as we continued to talk I thought about it. She was fine (attitude-wise) when she got home. At that point she didn't know the kiddos were gone. So we asked the kids to be brought over today.

Food that was out that she wouldn't eat was devoured five minutes after the kiddos arrived. Chance was eating everything in site, especially the pretzels my granddaughter was trying to eat. She was normal, running around.

After they left she laid on the floor and whimpered. Tonight I can get her to play with me more than I have all this week but still not normal.

I looked up a yellow "mourning" and just about everything I saw was related to losing another pet/companion. It isn't easy to just engage her in other things because of her knee.

Thoughts?

Sorry for the length. Happy Holidays!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I would call the vet. She may be in pain. I do know that dogs mourn but my first concern would be damage to the knee. The boarding kennel may be at fault for letting her play.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

pcm25 is offline Junior Member

Hi Nellies mom

Agreed, could be it. But we have not done so yet and think it is other because when she really blew her knee out (complete ACL tear), she didn't change one bit in activity, alertness, friendliness, eating, etc. The Vet was amazed. And today when the kiddos were around she was completely her old self.

So it could be and we will probably end up there anyway, but was looking for anyone that might have had the same experience as we've had.

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Good luck.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

SarahJN is offline Member

It might have been "mourning," but did you lose a pet/companion and did the timing coincide with the surgery? My Patterdale mourned when our Springer/Collie died, but if you did lose a dear friend then Chance underwent surgery, it may be the stress. You did all the right things, giving your lab down-time and trying to keep her calm.
    Like Nelliesmom said, it might be that she is in pain. Dogs are stoic, and as her owner, you know her best and know when she's genuinely poorly. I hope all goes well. If not, she may need a blood sample taking to determine other causes of her lethargy. It could just be tiredness caused by all the stress, and will go away on its own, or it might be anaemia or another disorder. Sometimes labs just have "down days," like another owner I saw on here.
    My lab usually whimpers or whines when she wants attention, but from your post, I think it's more likely to be pain. Your vet is your best bet. Hope it all gets sorted!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not sure where you live - but this could be a symptom of Lyme disease. My first inkling of it with my dog was when she lost interest in playing because her joints hurt. I'd have a Lyme test run if you live in an area where this is prevalent.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

SarahJN is offline Member

Gosh, I didn't even think of that! Even if your dog is regularly treated for ticks, the ticks can still give your dog Lyme's because it doesn't stop them biting. Millie has the same problem. She gets flea allergies when she gets bitten, and her treatments don't stop the initial bites.
    The test isn't a bad idea. Problem with all health issues is that most of us aren't vets and can only toss in ideas. Hoping you get a straight answer from the vet!