Help, pup is crying
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, pup is crying

MoonlightEm is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp, pup is crying

We feel so awful. Our 15 month old yellow lab pup, Mason, has been crying off and on for 3 days. On Saturday he had a play time with his friend and they did some fun, loving wrestling together. Since then, Mason whimpers and cries when he tries to get up or wants to jump up on the sofa with us. We've put him on a diet. He's 82 pounds and hefty, but doesn't lose any weight. He'd been going for mile long walks every day and seemed to be fine with that. But when there's twisting and turning involved, he seems to be in pain. We've had his hips X-rayed and will do so again. The breeder has never had any problems with her puppy's hips. We're just stymied as to what's going on with him. He's always been a happy, active, eager dog, but he's definitely hurting now. Wish we could find some lab experts and get so advice. This is not the first time he's been in pain after he plays rough or exercises too hard. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

He's definitely hurting. Absolute REST until you can get Mason to the vet. It could be anything, but I'll just about guarantee it's related to his playtime with his friend. The vet's gonna have to prolly x-ray him all over again unless he can pinpoint where the pain is coming from. At his point it could be soft-tissue, skeletal or even muscular. ABSOLUTE REST is important here so Mason doesn't make whatever it is worse. He goes out on a lead and comes right back in and is put in a crate or small area where he can be watched. No couch, bed or anything else right now.

Laura

brody is offline Senior Member

What does your vet say?
    At his age that would worry me on many levels ..
    he could have hip, elbow or other issues - there is a growth condition called Panno (I think?) that can be very very painful ...

I'd be at the vets ASAP
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your prompt comments. I'm just so living in fear that something is wrong with his hips. We adore this dog and can't stand to think of anything wrong with this otherwise perfect creature who gives us so much joy and love.

We have a vet appointment at 8:30 in the morning - 15 hourse from now.

glad you have an appointment booked

I'd log every whimper between now and then - and try to recall what causes the most pain and reaction ..
    is it after napping? after playing? how long after exersice does the pain seem to start?
    has it affected his appetite? his bowel or potty habits?
    can he sleep soundly through the pain?

the more info you can take the vet the less invasive s/he may have to be and the more likely you are to get at least some answers tomorrow

as I say don't worry too much about hips or any one thing - the variety of things that can cause this type of behaviour is staggering

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

When Jackson was 9 months old he started with symptoms like that. We took him to the vet immediately and it turns out he had just wrenched his back. With medication and rest he was back to himself quickly (although it was no mean feat keeping him quiet for two weeks). He's now 4 yrs old and never had a repeat.

what happened??
    ray - you were very lucky 2 weeks cured your pooch so promptly and permanently

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

We never were sure. We were at the neighbors for dinner and came home to it. We suspect he was playing with the other dogs and jumping around on the furniture and just twisted wrong. He was actually fine in a week but we had to keep him quiet for another week. That second weekend he actually showed and placed first in his class!

SarahJN is offline Member

That's great! I'm glad he fixed up so well!
    It can happen that dogs get "tweaks" just like we do, and I'm so glad it didn't seem to do any permanent damage. Millie was playing with a baby golden the other day and sprained her front leg. It was late, so I knew we'd not get a vet appointment. One night of R and R and she was totally back to normal, and we nursed her slowly with easier walks for a few days.
    Glad it all worked out, and well done on the First Prize! He must be a stunning boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast