i read in dog fancy magazine last night

Thread: i read in dog fancy magazine last night

bett is offline Senior Member

Defaulti read in dog fancy magazine last night

that this vet , dr dressler, known as the "dog cancer vet" feels that 1 out of 3 cancers can be eliminated in dogs, by eliminating corn and vegetable oils and keeping animals a bit leaner.

what are your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Senior Member

According to the World Health Organization, 1/3 of all cancers are related to obesity. Seems possible that it would have a similar effect on dogs, though I have no clue about the corn or vegetable oil.

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree with the keeping leaner part.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Agree with the leaner as well. I have a good friend w/ Goldens who used to have dogs that lived to 14-15, and now 9 is the norm-- those dogs' grandpups. She's not fed corn based foods for years so don't know that has anything at all to do with it. I think back to the 60's when all there was was Purina Puppy Chow and Alpo, yet even our 180# St. Bernard lived to 10 years (and she was overweight in retrospect).

I think in many cases breeders are as much to fault by breeding to the stud of the day w/o taking into account longevity as they should.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

bett is offline Senior Member

the leaner part wasnt the gist of the article, i think.

SarahJN is offline Member

Sounds sensible - not sure about the vegetable oils or corn. I know some dogs have bad reactions to corn, but dogs are omnivores (although they seem to prefer meat products). I was told cancer was caused by free radicals in substances which cause cells to divide rapidly and use up the body's resources. Apparently one of the worst offenders for cancer is pesticides on fresh veg which isn't washed - maybe the vegetable oil has the same problem? Then again, I think cancer has loads of causes. Staying trim definetely helps, and I guess cutting down on the fats in veggie oil (or any oil, even those low in saturates) maybe help to keep the dog trimmer?
    Apparently a lot of kibble manufacturers add oil or fat to the kibble to make it tastier. Hard to say, though. Definetely food for thought!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Our produce supply here in the states is the safest, cleanest from residues it's been in years. Wish now I had just kept an article on that from a recent study published for the produce industry (which I've worked in my entire life from all aspects from growing to research). Agriculture and food safety are really hot button topics. That all said, components sourced from the 3rd world countries may not meet our standards here.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJN View Post
    Sounds sensible - not sure about the vegetable oils or corn. I know some dogs have bad reactions to corn, but dogs are omnivores (although they seem to prefer meat products). I was told cancer was caused by free radicals in substances which cause cells to divide rapidly and use up the body's resources. Apparently one of the worst offenders for cancer is pesticides on fresh veg which isn't washed - maybe the vegetable oil has the same problem? Then again, I think cancer has loads of causes. Staying trim definetely helps, and I guess cutting down on the fats in veggie oil (or any oil, even those low in saturates) maybe help to keep the dog trimmer?
    Apparently a lot of kibble manufacturers add oil or fat to the kibble to make it tastier. Hard to say, though. Definetely food for thought!
    Last edited by windycanyon; 12-22-2010 at 03:48 PM.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

SarahJN is offline Member

It's one of those things. I think it was what caused the recent surge in Organic food, but to be honest I eat normal veg, and Millie doesn't get a lot of veg in her diet. It's good to know the industry has improved, as you're always hearing horror stories. Good stuff to hear!