Diarrhea HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea HELP!

GoPotty is offline Member

DefaultDiarrhea HELP!

Good evening people! Looks like I am not going to sleep much tonight.

I told myself last week that I was going to buy a vet book with home remedies and a bottle of pepto bismo just in case my puppy (3 months) will have an episode of diarrhea.

Here I am writing to you. I think somebody in my household started to feed her carrots because I see in the in the poop. We feed her three times a day and used large breed eukunuba. I was just at the VET Saturday and got her poop looked at and it was fine.

She has been a bit reserved and not her hyper self. She also drop four loads within the last two hours. She made an accident in the kitchen. It was pudding like and no trace of blood or mucus.

Should I get some pepto or just let her be for now? I have gone through the older posts and plan to fast her for 12 hours and boil some rice and chicken.
    Last edited by GoPotty; 12-20-2010 at 11:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Fasting and then chicken and rice were recommended by my vet, too; along with plenty of water so the puppy doesn't get dehydrated and if that doesn't sort it or if the puppy gets worse then take him back. Others may have better advice though.

Hope it clears up soon.

Samson is offline Senior Member

It's not unusual for pups to have upset stomachs - they get into everything and rice and chicken are fine to help a stomach upset , but if I saw signs of lethargy then I would definitely be into the vets !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

I don't know where you are from, but isn't Parvo a strong possibility in puppies? I don't mean to scare you, but if it lasted longer then yesterday, I'd be at the vet's again.

Canned pumpkin (the pure, not the pie filling) always helps my girl when she gets an upset tummy, and now gets it frozen in a kong about once a week as a Treat.
    My two favorite girls.

uxhamby is offline Junior Member

Defaultyogurt ?

Hi,

A fellow I often encounter while dog walking, has an adult German Short hair Pointer. (The younger of what used to be a pair.)

Last week, when the pointer was obviously having diarrhea issues as we walked, this fellow observed that, per the vets advice for such occasions, he'd be giving the dog some plain yogurt when he got home.

I had never heard of this before but filed it away mentally for future use. Don't know if it applies to puppies as well as adult dogs but it seems harmless at worst.

I notice just now that Googling "yogurt for dogs with diarrhea" turns up a bunch of interesting looking stuff.

Hope this is of interest.

Brian H.
    Last edited by uxhamby; 12-21-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling & general fussing and perfectionism
    Uxbridge Ontario Canada

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

I give my four month old a heaping tablespoon of yogurt every night in her dinner. Her breeder gave it to her dog to promote healthy stools. I use non-fat plain greek type.

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

Just another perspective. I used to give my girl Yogurt all the time, every dinner in fact. she's got a sensitivity to dairy. Makes her have the runs.

If there are no pressing health issues requiring Vet intervention, I'd do the chicken/rice then slowly re-introduce things to rule out any sensitivities/allergies, too.

Good Luck! Please come back and update us.
    My two favorite girls.

Thanks guy for the tips.

Good news is puppy isn't tired but still has diarrhea. I had a bit of miscommunication with my household and they fed her today while I was at work. I also found out they were feeding her left over cooked carrot from a soup and pork. They also gave the dog pepto bismo kids tablet today and I am worried now. I heard mixed things with different people about giving a dog pepto.

My puppy has one more shot to go and we were at the vet saturday and they tested her stool and it is fine.

I just got pumpkin in the can and cooked rice. I will fast her for 12 hours and give her room temperature cooked rice and chicken noon tomorrow. I got the gang together so we are all on the same page.

Still worried about the pepto though. I have to give her heartworm meds today and not sure if I should wait till tomorrow.

brody is offline Senior Member

she is about 12 weeks old I take it...
    it`s important to know that not everything shows up in fecal tests all the time - giardia and coccidia are easy to miss if the stool sample is the least bit aged (and at other times too)
    take another as fresh as possible sample when you go back in a month ..
    and watch her carefully - all the parvo puppies I`ve seen start off bright and cheerful with terrible runs that get bloodier and bloodier ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Yes 12 weeks. Should I try to get an appointment sooner? I have to go back in 3 weeks for her last shot.

There are no blood in her stool. It just looks kinda like a mud piled up. She has an appetite and has energy.

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    she is about 12 weeks old I take it...
    it`s important to know that not everything shows up in fecal tests all the time - giardia and coccidia are easy to miss if the stool sample is the least bit aged (and at other times too)
    take another as fresh as possible sample when you go back in a month ..
    and watch her carefully - all the parvo puppies I`ve seen start off bright and cheerful with terrible runs that get bloodier and bloodier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast