Recommended amount to feed

Thread: Recommended amount to feed

DefaultRecommended amount to feed

Greetings,

I am currently transitioning Bess from Diamond to Innova Food. I am curious how others on this site determine how much to feed their puppys/dogs.

The Diamond bag states 3-4 cups a day for her age and weight. The Innova bag states 3 1/2 cups.

The breeder had her on 2 1/2-3 cups a day + dog treats and some cheese snacks.

Currently I have her on 3 cups a day plus some puppy treats. I am not feeding her cheese or any other table scraps. She seems to be doing fine. Thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The Diamond bag states 3-4 cups a day for her age and weight. The Innova bag states 3 1/2 cups.
    A LOT of us agree that it sure seems -- since dog food mfrs are interested in selling (more) dog food -- that may be the reason that their recommended amounts are often so GROSSLY overstated.

In my experience, Diamond tends to do less of this than many of the other mfrs.

BUT ANYWAY -- it's certainly not the number of CUPS anyway, it'd always be the kcals that need to be equated and so it's the kcals/cup of the different foods you need to know to help you figure this out. (Different dog foods vary between near 200 to near 600 kcals/cup.)

Unfortunately, there's no really accurate guide on how much to feed other than your continual acute observation of your pup's condition.

I was extremely fortunate with Puff.

She's one of the very rare (about 10% measured on a previous JL poll subscribed by 70+ voters) of Labs that self-regulate their food intake.

Most Labs (like my previous Bess) are gluttons and have no reasonable sense of limits about how much to eat. Their owners need to/have to/should do that for them.

Many scientific studies have shown that at around 7-9 weeks age, pups need about 2X the amount of food that an ADULT dog of that same weight would eat.

As they approach 12-18 months of age and adult status, that drops down to only 1X.

My Puff, 6 lbs @ 9 weeks age, ate about 1 cup/day (364 kcals/cup) divided into 3 meals. As she grew, she ate more and more, finally maxing out at 5 cups/day around 7-8 months.

Then she started skipping meals, sometimes going for a day or even 2 without eating before she resumed eating.

When she did resume, I measured the amount she was given, the amount she left, and then determined the amount she ate.

Then I gave her that reduced amount until again she began skipping meals.

When Puff reached her adulthood, her ideal food intake has leveled out to be one cup of 393 kcal kibble at breakfast plus, at supper, one cup of that kibble + 1 c. cooked frozen green beans + one very small slice of cooked frozen salmon.

Possibly you'd like more definite recommendations?

But, because Labs differ so remarkably (they range from about 45 to 125 lbs.at adult weight, AND all sorts of body types between bench and HT/FT lines) ONLY rough Rules of Thumbs and general principles will be appropriate.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 10-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If I fed my dogs what the Diamond bag says I would have some really obese dogs!
    I feel all of my adults 2 cups a day. The bag says something like 4-5 for their range!

I fed innova years ago and while it was a really good food it was really high in calorie and I had to feed SO much less. I felt like my dog was starving all the time.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Bob, I would like to know why you and other use green beans in the diet of their labs? Sorry not trying to hitch hike this post, but I have noticed others mention feeding the beans as well.
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff did very well -- for awhile -- as an adult with 1 cup Kirkland C&R in the AM and 1 cup PM.

But after awhile she was begging for more food so I accommodated her by giving about 1/8th cup more for each meal.

Then she began gaining weight and rose up from her normal 62 lbs/28 kg to 65 lbs/29.5 kg.

Since I wanted a way of satisfying her appetite without increasing her weight, I started cooking and adding the frozen whole green string beans (cooked w/no salt). I buy 5 lb. packages from Sam's Club (about $1/lb.) and cook 2-3 days worth at a time and refrigerate any remainder.

I learned on the JL forum that green string beans can be very effective used that way as a filler. Puff gets about 1 cup added to her supper meal and she seems to like them.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748