Fingernail polish
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fingernail polish

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

DefaultFingernail polish

Help please!

My little girl (1 year old) and my 13 week lab(Layla) are the best of friends. Their favorite game is for her to grab something and my dog to chew it up. Last week they did this with a bottle of finger nail polish. Layla broke the cap and some got on her fur. I tried to wash it out with some water but it didn't work. It had already dried. The next day I grabbed at one of the clumps and it fell out. It left a small bald spot. Today, a couple days later the hard clump of hair on her forehead was bothering me so I got some finger nail polish remover and dabbed some on her fur clump. It de-clumped, but I checked on her an hour later and now she has a bald spot where the clump was. Should I be worried? Do you think the hair will grow back? Ugggghhh. I have a vet appointment on Thursday for her next round of vaccination.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Should I be worried?
    Yes!

Ring your vet & ask his/her advice.

SarahJN is offline Member

It's probably just a reaction to the nail polish and acetone - if the skin isn't blistered or sore-looking, it's probably just that the hair's fallen out.
    When you go to the Vet's next, I would definetely point it out. If she doesn't appear to be in any pain and the skin looks fairly normal, she probs just needs looking at.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SarahJN is offline Member

PS Yes, the hair will grow back, don't worry. Millie chewed half her guard hair away because of a bad reaction to a flea bite once, and it took about three weeks to grow back. Did you ring your vet?

No, I haven't called my vet yet. I will tomorrow morning though. Layla, as far as her schedule and temperament has been normal.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I know you are probably beating yourself up over this but - you really need to puppy proof/baby proof the whole house. A one year old is barely a toddler - should not be able to access anything potentially harmful.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I know you are probably beating yourself up over this but - you really need to puppy proof/baby proof the whole house. A one year old is barely a toddler - should not be able to access anything potentially harmful.
    I agree 100%. Wow, you certainly have your hands full!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I agree 100%. Wow, you certainly have your hands full!!!
    Ha! I laugh! I didn't put in my post that I also have 3 other kids of various ages. My one year old just figured out how to climb onto our dining room table. Arg! Baby/puppy proofing a house to the point that there is absolutely NO chance of accidents is simply impractical. Anyone who thinks this, in my opinion, is fooling themselves.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    Ha! I laugh! I didn't put in my post that I also have 3 other kids of various ages. My one year old just figured out how to climb onto our dining room table. Arg! Baby/puppy proofing a house to the point that there is absolutely NO chance of accidents is simply impractical. Anyone who thinks this, in my opinion, is fooling themselves.
    Oh, jeez. I understand now. I have a kid who climbed out of his crib at 10 months old. He turned my hair white before he was 5.

Good luck to you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be more worried about them eating the wet nailpolish than getting it on their fur. Many breeders use nailpolish to mark puppies so that they know which is which. I put a big blob of orange nail polish on the boys shoulders last litter so that I knew right off which was a boy and which was a girl. I had to reapply every few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast