Suggestions Welcome: IBS/Wheat/Dairy Allergy and food recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions Welcome: IBS/Wheat/Dairy Allergy and food recommendations

CdnSouthernBelle is offline Senior Member

DefaultSuggestions Welcome: IBS/Wheat/Dairy Allergy and food recommendations

Hi folks,

So when I first adopted Sadie she was on IAMS. I switched her right away to a better food, or what I thought better at the time (nutrience). Since she was in a shelter and then spayed a week later I didn't think much of her soupy poops.

Fast forward a few weeks and our journey began.....

I called her poops "pudding poop" as it was that consistency. I tried everything, all types of food that I searched/researched high and low on the internet. 1) because I wanted her on a good food and 2) to help alleviate her poop issues.

Then she got hook worm. Start all over again from scratch.

Anyway, long story short and through a process of elimination/vet recommendation, she likely has irritable bowels and from the elimination process has a sensitivity to wheat and lactose. The vet put her on "Purina" brand something or other (I'd have to look at the bag to know exactly the name). It's not the best food, protein is the 3rd ingredient on the list.

Her poops for the most part are fine now, but not stellar. They are still very soft, but not pudding anymore.

I've tried feeding her Raw as well as wheat free (she gets wheat free cookies and treats though) and it only got worse.

What's a gal to do? Do I stay on this less then spectacular food because it's the only one she seems to do "Okay" on...or do I resume my search and experiment with new foods (I've given her about a year on this stuff to let her stomach settle).

All suggestions/feedback are welcomed. TIA!
    My two favorite girls.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

I have an allergy boy - different things have worked over time for us. Duke/Potato Nat Balance - worked well for a long time. Now on Innova EVO - not beef - no grain - and he's great. My girl, on the other hand, could eat a trash bag a day and be healthy and hearty. But - she gets the good stuff too!

Good luck - it's a PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog View Post
    I have an allergy boy - different things have worked over time for us. Duke/Potato Nat Balance - worked well for a long time. Now on Innova EVO - not beef - no grain - and he's great. My girl, on the other hand, could eat a trash bag a day and be healthy and hearty. But - she gets the good stuff too!

Good luck - it's a PITA!
    Thanks! I know, it is!!! LOL

I should probably list the foods we've tried (I'll try to remember):
    EVO
    Natural something or other - California Naturals maybe?
    Oven Baked - Wheat Free
    Orijen
    RAW

We've tried all variations, ie. duck/turkey/chicken, etc., etc.

Part of me thinks to just leave it. She eats and is doing well. The other thinks I'm a horrible doggy mom cause I'm not feeding the bestest food ever.

Oh, and I'm sure this is pertinent - her skin is awesome and she has the shiniest coat ever (she get's salmon oil in her breakfast to keep the itchies away). :-)
    My two favorite girls.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Boston is offline Senior Member

Stoli had some stomach issues and I tried a bunch of foods. (TOTW, Nature's Recipe) Her movements were inconsistent on those but she didnt really like the food. I switched to Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skina and Stomach and she has done great! She also loves it. But it is not grain free.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I don't have anyone sensitive, but we feed Acana Wild Prairie or Orijen. I know that you said that you tried them, but thought it was worth mentioning that overfeeding these foods cause loose stool.

If the Purina works for her, so be it. I'd leave well enough alone.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Several folks have said, 'If it works for you and your dogs, why change?'

I personally do not believe the dogs have any idea if their food costs more or less.

I was looking for a corn and whear free food, and found Costco's Kirkland Chicken and Rice. Hershey is happy with it. It rates pretty well. A lot better than I anticipated for about $22 for a 40 lb bag.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I fed less of the good stuff. :-)

I've heard good things about Kirkland. I guess at this point I'm just worried about getting her stomach all messed up again. :-(

What I feed now is more expensive then the good stuff! LOL
    My two favorite girls.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Another recomendation for Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Actually, any of thier Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) line. Just check the lable. As for the IBS- but I know for people with IBS they recommend increasing finer intake. If your girl can have canned pumpkin, try giving her a little once a day. Just make sure to use canned pumpkin, not pumkin pie filling.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Another recomendation for Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Actually, any of thier Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) line. Just check the lable. As for the IBS- but I know for people with IBS they recommend increasing finer intake. If your girl can have canned pumpkin, try giving her a little once a day. Just make sure to use canned pumpkin, not pumkin pie filling.
    Thanks! She does get pumpkin in a kong frozen a few times a week.

This is something I ponder frequently! I'm so undecided. Till I can decide, I'll keep her on what she's currently on. :-)
    My two favorite girls.

brody is offline Senior Member

I am FIRMLY in the if it's working don't mess with it camp!!
    aka if it ain't broke don't fix it ...

Sally eats either homecooked (balanced for her by her own nutritionist) or Hill's Ultra ZD .. and while I'd love to have her on something else it simply isn't happening - changes are a disaster for her intestinal tract ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast