Pics of correct puppy waist? How much to feed him?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of correct puppy waist? How much to feed him?

ldeikis is offline Junior Member

DefaultPics of correct puppy waist? How much to feed him?

Hello all.

I'm new to this forum and reasonably new to owning a dog, not counting the one I grew up with. We sort of stumbled into owning a lab/border collie puppy (we'd been planning on getting a dog for a while, then this one just kind of came along). Anyway, we really like him and aside from a little leak when he's super excited he's being great. My question is about how much to feed him. He's 5 months old now. Some of the bags I've read say to give him as much as he wants twice a day, others give a measurement per weight, none agree. We're transitioning from Rachel Ray (which he was on when we got him) to Diamond Natural big puppy (which I think is better food and much cheaper). Lots of people also say to disregard the recommendations and go by the dog--he should have a defined waist and you should be able to feel but not see his ribs. That's how he seems to me, but lately I've been wondering if we're not giving him enough, or if his waist is TOO defined, etc. His back hair is really wavy, too, so I think he'd have to be really bony before I could SEE his ribs. Collies I've known have all had very defined waists, though, while it's hard to think of a lab I've known who wasn't obviously overweight... trying to know what the healthy version of our particular mix is is tricky. He inhales anything we put in front of him, I suspect he'd eat several cups of food several times a day if given the choice. He's been getting a cup twice a day, and we just moved him up to 1 1/2 cups twice a day. He was 27 pounds at Thanksgiving (4 months old exactly) and I'm trying to borrow a scale to weigh him again today.

If anyone can point me towards some images or drawings of what he ought to look like, waist-wise, I'd appreciate it. He's got sit down pat, but stay is tricky, so the pictures I have are a bit on-the-move.

Thanks,

Luke

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your puppy looks fine to me.

The advice you got to go by the look of your dog and not what it says on the bag is correct. The bags always advise overfeeding - they are in the business of selling food after all. It will be hard for people on here to recommend an amount as your dog is a mix - but if he is growing and gaining weight you should be ok.

You can switch to adult food at this point by the way.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yeah, pup looks good to me too! Another thing to keep in mind is that Border Collies typically have a leaner body than Labs, or at least the ones I've seen certainly do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Thanks Labby! Great resource.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

I have a similar chart, though from a different source. The same guidelines though.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I have the same worries with my dog! The vet said my dog was fine, but they suggested that I feed her Purina One puppy food instead of Diamond puppy food. My 13 week puppy looks thinner than your dog. I will need to ask again when I take her for her third set of shots next week. If it helps, I am a first time dog owner and have the same concerns so you aren't alone.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

My vet told me that Dinozzo was at the 'upper end' of the weight chart for Labs and not to allow him to put on any more. I don't think he's fat (he's about 2" taller than the max for the breed though).

It's true, teh 'guidelines' on the packet will result in overfeeding, and if you use treats for training, remember to take these into account when weighing out the food (it's the reason I like kibble, because it's so much easier to calculate)

ldeikis is offline Junior Member

I just realized that even though I checked back up here I never posted a thanks--so, Thanks! That chart was really helpful. The little guy is doing great and we're reassured he's alright. He's growing, but doesn't seem like he's going to get huge, which is fine by me. We've just finished transitioning him off crappy food and onto good puppy food, and now everyone's telling me it's time to switch him again on to adult food.

Life's busy but hopefully I'll stay a part of this forum.

Thanks again,

Luke

Jewelia is offline Junior Member

So glad I found exactly the same question. My little Kimi is 13.5 weeks now and my husband thought she was looking skinny. I pointed out to him that I feed her the recommended amount 3 x daily. She is exercising a little more now too. However I am not worried as she comes from working stock. Someone mentioned adult food. When can you change to adult food?

Jue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast