We Worried: Lab is losing weight

Thread: We Worried: Lab is losing weight

namu is offline Junior Member

DefaultWe Worried: Lab is losing weight

Last March, we had our 8yr old lab in for shots, etc and he weighed 65lbs. We changed his food Royal Cannin Adult and switched to Costco Kirkland and now a few times with Atta Boy.
    Our concern is since his checkup, he's lost almost 8lbs but he's still eats like no tomorrow, no diminished energy but is always looking for food in the kitchen, etc. 2 wks ago, we had his stool checked for worms/parasites and that came back negative.
    Any suggestions? Is the food THAT much of a variable with dogs?
    Much appreciate all answers. The wife was crying this morning while brushing him.. he's also shedding a heck of a lot as well.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by namu View Post
    ....Is the food THAT much of a variable with dogs?...
    Yes, it can be. Since he's acting fine and his stool sample came back negative, I'd simply slightly increase the amount of food he's eating.

....he's also shedding a heck of a lot as well. Thanks
    That could be because of the time of year. It really wouldn't hurt to call your vet, tho, and see what they have to say.

bett is offline Senior Member

did you do bloodwork?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

namu is offline Junior Member

We just took him into the vet today to have him weighed (they're not seeing patients but we're open) and found out he went down from 65 to 57.5lbs. and that was alarming for us. We just didn't know what to do but we're considering bloodwork next. That seems the next logical step but also don't want to incur the expense if not necessary. I'm thinking of creating a 'fatter' diet to see if he gains weight. We used to feed him 2 cups/day and in the last week, we've doubled it to see if that has an effect.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I forgot to ask, how long ago did you change foods? And when did you start noticing the weight loss?

We just took him into the vet today to have him weighed (they're not seeing patients but we're open) and found out he went down from 65 to 57.5lbs. and that was alarming for us...
    Has that been since March or more recently?

[/QUOTE]... I'm thinking of creating a 'fatter' diet to see if he gains weight...[/QUOTE]
    I'd hold off on doing that. A high fat diet can cause problems for some dogs. I'd wait for the results of the blood test to come back before doing anything else if I were you.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

When was that stool sample taken? If not in the last few weeks I would have it run again and definitely see the vet. That is ALOT of weight to loose in a brief period. Unless you are grossly underfeeding something in his body is either stealing the nutrients or his body if off and not able to take the proper nutrients.
    So even if you recently had his yearly done I would go back and talk to the vet.

ETA: actually, can you see what the feeding recommendation for the new food is, and maybe the old food? It may just be you were underfeeding the new food. Compare Cals per cup on both foods. Yes, quantity can vary alot by food.
    Last edited by Tanya; 12-12-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kassabella is offline Senior Member

What does the vet say. If your dog is acting normally, bright eyed and not lethargic or vomitting I would ask the vet if they thinnk tests are needed or wait and feed him up a bit. Labs are more healthy at the lower end of the scale.
    I know how worrying it is. Food can make a huge difference. On Eukanuba within a few weeks Erns became a coffee table on legs. He then went on Royal Canine and now have trouble keeping the weight on him.

They can loose a lot of fur seasonally. Often Erns can go a couple of years and not loose much then next we see the fur drop off as he walks.

Hope all goes well for you all.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

SarahJN is offline Member

Food really does vary, like Tanya said. There don't seem to be basic standards for them, so some contain more meat, fat, etc than others - for example, I found out Butcher's wet food contains at least 51% real meat, while Pedigree only contained about 31%, and they cost about the same.
    It does sound like maybe the food you're feeding now has less calories. Did you try feeding a little more? Also, like Tanya said, Millie loses a shedload of fur in summer and keeps more of it in winter (I stroke her in summer and it comes off easily). It might also be that she's just getting a little older. She's approximately 48 years at 8 years of age, according to Fat Dog Slim. Like Kassabella said, it might be best to see if she puts on a little weight and check with the vet.

SarahJN is offline Member

P.S Millie looks for food in the kitchen anyway - it might just be normal lab behaviour, as they are quite a "greedy" breed and love their food. Mind you, Millie's losing weight (on a diet for health reasons) so it might just be looking for extra calories she used to get.

alaninwinter is offline Junior Member

DefaultOur dog is also losing weight and I wonder, What happened?

I would love to know what happened to your 8 year lab. Our girl has virtually the same story except no diet change. She went from 66 in March to 58 at her check-up yesterday--we have checked her weight all summer and increased her food. She is now on 4 cups of dry Newman's own organic. The vet wants to see if that works. Her stool was clean and she is otherwise incredibly healthy, active, shiny coat no hair loss. She looks like a goddess and is amazingly fit. It might be that she is so active she needs to eat an exceptional amount, but as the stories are similar, I wondered what you found out. I always thought the fear with labs is that they eat themselves into obesity, not that they can't keep the pounds on.?