Nose cracking/crusting?

Thread: Nose cracking/crusting?

ChocolateRaleigh is offline Junior Member

DefaultNose cracking/crusting?

Our nearly 3 year old chocolate lab, Raleigh, has been with us since April. She has always had a crusty/cracking nose. The vet has told us to put A&D or Vaseline type of lotion on it and not to worry about it. A kennel we boarded her at said the same thing, that it is nothing to worry about. But lately it seems to be spreading up into the fur of her stop or snout so that the fur is turning a different/lighter shade of chocolate. Is this common? Should we being doing something different? This is our first lab so I don't know how common this is. Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Sounds like hyperkeratosis. Check out some of these links:

canine hyperkeratosis pictures - Google Search

My Pug has it. Shows up in this pic:

It can usually be fixed with vitamin A cream once or twice a day but before you do anything, ALWAYS check with your vet first.

ChocolateRaleigh is offline Junior Member

DefaultThanks, Garth!

Thank you for the helpful info, Garth. It certainly sounds & looks like the hyperkeratosis is also what Raleigh has. The ointment originally recommended by our vet is vitamin A & D, but we have never used it regularly. I will use it daily or twice daily as you suggested & see if it improves. Thanks again for the input!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SarahJN is offline Member

Sounds like that helped a lot I remember reading once that if your dog's nose cracks often in the cold (which it might do, even after he's been treated) try rubbing a little Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly onto his nose, but far enough back that he can't lick it off. Like a lipsalve, it'll stop his nose from drying and flaking. As far as I know, it's not toxic at all but best to avoid the scented ones if possible. If you aren't sure, please check with your vet. I'm sure it's safe, though.