Information on HGE

Thread: Information on HGE

Archie08 is offline Junior Member

DefaultInformation on HGE

Hello,

I switched my Lab (2 years old) to Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream over 3 weeks ago. Yesterday I brought him to VCA after he threw up blood and blood from his rectum. As of this morning he is stable, with normal vital signs, and I'm waiting to hear from the vet. His exray yesterday showed a LOT of gas, with no obstruction. His lab work looked good, and the vet was surprised that his Hemocrit (sp?) levels were normal - 39, whereas dogs with HGE usually have the range of 60.

Archie gets no human food, no exposure to poisons in his environment, and he hasn't eaten anything that would warrant this level of sickness. He's had amazing health until now.

I can think of nothing except the change of food. The company will not guarantee that there is no Ethoxquin in their formula.

I would appreciate any words of wisdom!
    Kathleen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Archie08 View Post
    The company will not guarantee that there is no Ethoxquin in their formula.
    That's because they can't. 98% of all foods with fish meal in it has ethoxyquin in the food. Why? Because the Coast Guard regulates that fish needs to be preserved with that on the way in from the ocean. It keeps the fish from spoiling on the voyage. Fish Meal & Ethoxyquin

The dog food companies only have to list ingredients THEY put in the food. So just because the food doesn't list ethoxyquin doesn't mean it's not there.

I used to be, but I am not a Diamond fan (makers of TOTW) anymore. They've had some issues since their major recall and I honestly don't trust them anymore.

I hope your dog gets better soon.

Laura

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

I'm glad someone else is as skeptical of Diamond as I am.

I doubt he would react that way from the preservative, even if it is something else in the food. If you are interested in a no ethoxyquin food, Acana and Orijen do not contain ethoxyquin, they are in Canada and their suppliers use a special natural preservative mix just for them. I think Fromm also uses special fish sources that do not contain it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, Laura. I'm now on a mission to find another dog food, as soon as my dog is back to regular food. He's not out of the woods yet, but the vet said that he is stable.

Thanks again for your reply,
    Kathleen

labby is offline Senior Member

Prayers and good thoughts that he continues to be stable and improve.

Laura

justine is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your pup. Abbey had a nasty bout of HGE that came out of absolutely nowhere a few months ago. We hadn't changed her food, no new treats, no new environments - all of a sudden she was lethargic, wouldn't eat, dehyrdrated and was pooping pure blood. I worked for a vet at the time, so I was giving her fluids throughout the night as well as a few medications. It was a scary couple of days, but she pulled through.

Unfortunately it's almost never possible to figure out what exactly started the HGE because you have to act quickly and there are 60+ things to rule out. Good thoughts and prayers that your dog has a speedy recovery!

Thank you for your post! Archie is so much better and I'm hoping to bring him home tomorrow morning. He's off of the pain meds and just hydration at this point. I'm so grateful that he's better and I just hope the vomiting is over and that he tolerates water and food so he can come home.
    What a trooper - IV and all that. I know he's getting better because he saw the food (and seemed to want) what the others were getting! I can't wait to get him home.