4 year old bitch pooping still
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 year old bitch pooping still

tonycox is offline Junior Member

Default4 year old bitch pooping still

Hi all
    We are looking for some advice on our 4 year old yellow lab( Maddie ). We have had her from when she was 6 months old, and we have trained her to poop and wee outside ( it took some time ) and even then there has been the occasional blip. However over the last 12 months she has been pooping in the kitchen area ( where she sleeps at night ) approx once a week ( never wee ). Her routine is as follows :- 7.00 - 7.30 am breakfast ( dried food ) 8.30 am a good walk. She is constantly let out of the house when we are in during the day. 4.00pm dinner ( dried food ). 8.00pm a small walk where sometimes she does a poop. She has plenty of oppurtunity to poop, and still manages to deliver a parcel for us some mornings. Maddie is very placid and does not bark at all so she will not let us know if she wants to go out in the night. We are at a loss as to what to do. She knows she has done wrong when we come down in the morning, because she stays in her basket when there is poop on the floor.
    Has anybody got any suggetsions how to get out of this cycle ?
    By the way what an excellent site !
    Thanks

Tony & Lisa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

personally I would spend more time with her outside wlaking or play to ensure she poops (in the evening). Physical exercise will often encourage bowel movement. Some dogs don't think of it if they are just meandering around the house/yard (a dog alone outside isn't usually doing much good anyhoo). At least for a little while until a routine is established.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have to ask a question. When she does leave her gift in the house, is it well formed, and firm? What I call healthy. Or is it soft or loose? HK will leave us a gift a couple times a year, and it is always the latter when it happens. I think it happens when she has a digestive problem she can't control. Although she had access to the whole whole and prefers the carpets and couches, she always leaves these gifts on hard floors, and also knows she did wrong before I find it in the morning.

I don't know where you are, this is tough in the winter, but I try not to come back in the house before she drops a poop some times after dinner. I wait and give her time, walk up and down the block, toss balls in the dark, whatever, to get that urge going so she will do it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Do you have a fully fenced yard? Maybe a dog door would be an option? That way, she can let herself out whenever she wants to go.

That's only an option if (A) you own the house (most landlords wouldn't take kindly to large holes being cut in their doors or walls) & (B) the yard is 100% escape proof so she can't get out while unsupervised or no one can open a gate & let her out.

tonycox is offline Junior Member

Default4 year old - pooping

Thanks for you replies

The poops are pretty normal occasionally loose when eating too many apples etc.

We will try and excercise more on an evening see if that works

Tony

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My dogs go out immediately after eating and usually poop then.

I think she needs another potty break at the end of the day. Mine go out for the last time at between 11 and midnight.

And - do you crate her? She will be much less likely to do this if she is in a crate.

And - what are you cleaning the area with? If you are not using something to really eliminate the odor (which your nose is not sensitive enough to detect) she'll keep thinking that is an OK place to poop. Use an enzymatic cleaner like "Natures Miracle" or peroxide or vinegar. Typical household cleaners are not going to do the job.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

what are you cleaning the area with? If you are not using something to really eliminate the odor (which your nose is not sensitive enough to detect) she'll keep thinking that is an OK place to poop. Use an enzymatic cleaner like "Natures Miracle" or peroxide or vinegar. Typical household cleaners are not going to do the job.
    Ditto to "Nature's Miracle" or OTC Hydrogen Peroxide.

Also, do you have regular times you take her out for pee & poops?

My Puff's regular times are 6:30/7 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM. That always leads to peeing and pooping at those times.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post

I think she needs another potty break at the end of the day.
    This. I think she's one break short of a poopless night.

Laura

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonycox View Post
    8.00pm a small walk where sometimes she does a poop.
    she may need more leisure time for her bathroom break. my rottweiler never poops on a walk, always waits until he is home and he has a weird schedule too. Always a late night pooper. I would take her out right before you go to bed, try not to hurry her because sometimes a dog will pick up that energy and be too anxious to go. If you don't see her go she will probably need to during the night. I personally would put her back into a crate at night so she must wake you when she needs to do her night business.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

SarahJN is offline Member

These sound like good suggestions. You obviously don't overfeed her so it's not a case of a full belly. An additional poop break might be an idea, as she is now a little older. You say she had problems toileting early on, which might indicate this is one of her weak spots.
    Have you tried rewarding her when she "goes" outside? Lots of owners will wait until they see their dog squatting, choose a buzzword such as "go wee," or "go poop," and say this every time the dog goes outside. I know it sounds twee, but if the dog is rewarded for pooping successfully, for example, with affection or a favourite game, or even a bit of lean chicken or a treat, they will be likely to do it again. Some dogs also need to poop more times than others.
    Dogs also need to feel safe. It sounds as if she does, but is your backyard or park noisy? Does she often get disturbed while trying to do her business? If so, you might need a quieter spot where she can take her time. Many dogs need a bit of exercise to get things going before they can poop. Some also have weird schedules - Millie almost never poops on cement, and will only go in the yard or the park (and always in the only parts with stinging nettles or brambles, lol).
    Also, I know vet visits are expensive, but if this is persistent, I would recommend seeing them. She may have a slight problem with her bowels. Failing that, rewarding her for successively doing her business, providing her with a quiet toilet area and using those special cleaners mentioned above will definetely help.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast