New puppy and some issues with his health.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New puppy and some issues with his health.....

Labrador86 is offline Junior Member

DefaultNew puppy and some issues with his health.....

Hi all,

We just got a 8 week old male lab puppy. He is from a reputable and good breeder.

We have had him 5 days now and just doesn't eat or drink much water for that matter. We have been constantly keeping overwatch on him 24/7. We obviously started crate training right away and thats not going to well either.... he was fine at first in their and now he just cry's and cry's in their.

He practically does nothing but cry unless were with him (separation anxiety already?). If we sit by him while he's in the crate he stops. He looks extremely sad to me and underweight at this point for his age. When he's awake and free to roam in the house he just stays sticking like glue to us, lol. He doesn't really play much either although we at times can tell he's energetic ?(he just gallops a couple times and thats it, lol). He just plays with his chew toy for maybe 3-5 minutes and again just wants to sleep.

Also, he simply refuses to walk on a leash inside or outside the house.

Most concerning to us so far is that he doesn't eat or drink much and two he simply will not stop crying if we are not right their with him. Despite those awful cries and whines we put him in his crate away from us and listened to him and he didnt stop crying for the 2-3 hours he was in their.... we did this on two occasions.... and then when we took him out and we assume he was so tired from crying so much he just fell asleep by us again. He gets some soft treats after going potty in the right spot and what not. Sometimes he doesn't even want the treat, mostly, he does though. He looks confused but thats to be expected.

Some key FYI's I guess are that he is maybe eating about a cup a day of food and not drinking much water in my opinion. The food is Royal Canine Labrador Puppy Food. We mixed his old food in with the new.... he seems to actually like the new food more for what its worth. He is up to date on shots, etc.

Were not sure what to do at this point. He seems really sad and we dont know what to do anymore.... tried everything we could think of.... our other lab puppy we had simply did not behave this way when got him. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Have you contacted the breeder?

He sounds "off" to me. Or what I'm saying I guess is that this is not normal behavior. Some separation anxiety is normal but he should be bonding with his new family. How many puppies were in the litter? When did the breeder wean the litter?

A puppy that age should be eating about 2 cups of food per day. Puppies that age seem to drink a lot of water too, but that's because they're generally playing a lot. How often is he in the crate? Why is he crated away from you? A new puppy should be where they can see their people. You've just ripped him away from everything he's ever known and now you want to put him in solitary confinement? I'd cry too. I tell my puppy people to start out with the crate in the living room area where the pup can be part of the family, then move the crate into a bedroom at night. Once the pup settles in a bit you can move the crate to one spot, but it still shouldn't be away from the family. Dogs are pack animals and it's not normal for them to be away from their pack.....YOU!

Has he been checked by your vet?

Laura

he has been crated near us practically the whole time we have had him. Only the two times did we try to crate him away from us. He is by us most of the time in the crate or not. But what are we suppose to when we need to leave home for a hour or two?

We did contact the breeder and she said give it a few days and see what happens. We have not taken him to our vet yet. I guess that would be the next step.

And again like I said very little water and food being eaten by him. I honestly think something was up from the moment the breeder gave him to us as he has been behaving like that since we got him. We know how a labrador puppy is suppose to behave, believe me, we lived with a few friends who got a lab puppy and he was playful and all that. He gobbled his food down... we always had to get him to slow down. He played all the time... burned and out and fell asleep and then repeated, lol. But this little one we got just seems all opposite and as you say "off". I believe he was part of a litter of 6 or 8.

I guess I wasn't sure what I should expect by posting on here.... I suppose the only thing we can do is take him to the vet tommorow.

Im curious though.... what to people do when they need to leave home with a new puppy? I mean there have to be people out there with full time jobs that get new puppies.... what do you do when you leave home and cant take the pup with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

This doesn't sound right at all. How long have you had him? Puppies should be taken to the new owners vet within a couple of days of having him. How are his poops? Parvo comes to mind and you don't want to screw with that. Take him in immediately, please.

Please come back and update us.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

You leave them in a crate, just like you're doing. To me, and it sounds like I read it wrongly, it sounded like you put him in a crate in another room and just let him scream.

I think a vet check is imperative here. Something just doesn't sound right here with him. Make sure they check the heart as well as your taking a stool sample in with you.

Your friend's puppy is exactly how most Lab puppies are. My Seamus was the best puppy around the house that I have ever owned, never getting into trouble, etc., but he was still an exuberant puppy. Yours being so quiet makes me think that he's not feeling well for some reason.

Please come back and let us know what, if anything, the vet says when you take your pup in tomorrow. Good luck.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    Parvo comes to mind
    If it were parvo he'd be extremely sick with vomiting and diarrhea.

Something is niggling in the back of my mind but I can't get it to the thinking part of my brain. I would definitely have his heart and lungs listened to and prolly a full blood panel workup while I was there to check his internal organ functions.

Laura

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    If it were parvo he'd be extremely sick with vomiting and diarrhea.

Something is niggling in the back of my mind but I can't get it to the thinking part of my brain. I would definitely have his heart and lungs listened to and prolly a full blood panel workup while I was there to check his internal organ functions.
    Don't forget the urinalysis. It will show UTIs, those could be the problem, and possible congenital kidney issues, which would be looked at in conjunction with the blood panel. A puppy I had with kidney problems did not want to eat or drink much, which is bizzare because they are supposed to drink more. Looking back he was never quite right, not sad exactly, but had a "little old dog" look about him often.

Not saying there is a kidney issue with your puppy, just my experience with a puppy with a few of the same problems. Pneumonia could also make a puppy lackluster, really impossible to say.

Please let us know how this all turns out.

lisa is offline Senior Member

He doesn't sound quite right..please take him to the vet and please keep us posted...you and your pup will be in my prayers.

thanks for the advice everyone. Going to Vet first thing tomorrow morning. Good news is he finally eat a full meal of food and drank a good amount of water.... played after that with me for about 15 minutes.... took him out to potty... he did that... got a treat and we played a little more and he fell asleep now. Despite this to me he still seems sad and something is just not right with him since we got him from the breeder.... so I will take him to the vet tomorrow morning and see what happens and take it from there.

I hope its just something small and he's a little sick or something. We have been super stressed out about him.... the not eating and drinking properly worries me most.

I have to ask though.... he has been like this since we got him....is not a breeders responsibility to not give a puppy to new families that is sick? I looked at his vet report from before we got him and it says that he was underweight before we even got him... ?

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm glad your taking him in and hope your little guy is o.k- keeping good thoughts coming your way. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast