Is my puppy under weight ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my puppy under weight ?

Sandra Harris is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs my puppy under weight ?

I have just visited my puppy who i pick up in just under two weeks, she is now 6 and a half weeks old and weighs just 5 pounds. She is bouncy alert and full of energy,looks really healthy,no diarrhoea... just small. Is this totally out of the expected weight range ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds on the small side to me but females are smaller. My guy weighed 14# when I got him at 8 weeks. Now - yours will gain some in the next 2 weeks but how much I really can't say. The breeders on here can probably speak to this.

How big are the parents?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

General weight should be twice what age in weeks they are. So a 6½ week old puppy should be approx. 13 pounds, give or take a pound.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It really depends on the breeding (field v show), the parents'/grandparents' sizes etc, and esp the litter size in my experience. I don't think at 6.5 wks mine avg much more than 8-10 lbs typically and if from a good sized litter, they may not even equal their weight in weeks, yet are very healthy. Typically a 2# per week increase at that point is average. I'd assume the breeder will have a vet do a well check prior to your pick up day, so if that checks out, I'd not be too worried.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dani is offline Senior Member

While I think it's a little small, Rider was 6 lbs when he was 6 weeks old. He's now 85 lbs and quite healthy.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds small, but my Charlotte was 11 lb at 9 weeks and she's now a healthy 58 lb

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Does sound small to me, but it should be fine.

Make sure that before you leave the breeders with the puppy that you have it's full shot history and info on when the breeder took the pup to the vet. Also make sure that they are asking you to have YOUR vet check the pup for it's first wellness exam within a few days of you bringing it home...and then make that appointment within a few days of getting the pup home. Just in case something is up, you want to be able to address any issues immediately with the vet AND the breeder.

Boston is offline Senior Member

My female was 5.4 lbs at 7.5 weeks. She was 9 lbs by 10 weeks and she is now 15 months old and 63 lbs!!

SarahJN is offline Member

These guys are right. It may be her "strain" - I think in America Show Labs are slimmer while Fields are stockier. In England, it's the other way around, and Millie's quite a chubster from the front! Remember that she's a lass, too, which means she'll be dinkier. Like these guys said, check it out with a Vet. She might just be wee by nature - if her tummy looks well-developed but not "fat," (a belly that sticks out might indicate an illness) and she doesn't have any problems with her poops, and any other conditions such as runny eyes or discharge from the nose or ear, then I think she's just little by nature. A good diet and exercise will bring her up well.
    Her parents may be small, too, and like they said, it depends on the size.
    See how she looks in two weeks. She doesn't sound ill or sickly at all. Probably just wee

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJN View Post
    These guys are right. It may be her "strain" - I think in America Show Labs are slimmer while Fields are stockier. In England, it's the other way around
    In the US, it's the same as in England. Our show Labs are stockier while the Field Labs are slimmer. Pet bred Labs are all over the map since there's no rhyme or reason in breeding those.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast