Diet "treats"? (Cody again...sorry)

Thread: Diet "treats"? (Cody again...sorry)

cheesiepeake is offline Junior Member

DefaultDiet "treats"? (Cody again...sorry)

What are some acceptable treats for a 4 1/2 year old on a "diet"? Sometimes he is just so overwhelmingly GOOD that I want to give him something. He always acts like we are starving him - he is getting 2 cups twice a day with 1/2 cup of green beans at night and a tablespoon of nonfat plain yogurt in the morning.
    Treats are severely restricted - 4 or 5 Charlee Bears or a small dog biscuit 3 or 4 times a day. He is getting tired of carrot sticks but still loves an apple slice.
    Lately he has been interested in bananas - we have been giving him a chunk about the size of a small human bite whenever we have a banana. (Once or twice a day)

Are the banana treats ok? Is there anything else we could give him?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My dogs don't need to lose weight and I don't give them 1/3 of what you treat. If that's restricted, it must have been a smorgasbord at your house prior!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

And - bananas are not unhealthy but they are high in sugar and not a great diet food.

Really you should just make treats less of a focus for your dog. I have one who is diabetic and I control the food intake for the both of them like a prison guard. So -they are just not expecting much in the way of treats. It's all about habit creation.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon, that sounds like a lot of treats. Except for the big biscuit Caleb gets around bedtime (to prevent "empty stomach puking" in the middle of the night), I give what you give in a day over the course of a week, if that. Anyway- when I worked for my vet, we told clients whose dogs were on prescription diets to use some of the dry food as treats. You might want to set aside a certain amount to do that with so you aren't adding to the amount of food he's getting, tho.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider gets 1.5 cups twice a day with no green beans, Rookie gets 1 c. twice a day with 1/2 c. green beans....and he's on a diet. Use pieces of kibble as a treat. I do share my banana with my boys, but they get like a little piece in the morning when I have a banana. It does sound like you are feeding too much still. Cut back, up the exercise and use either kibble or cheerios as a treat, if you must.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Measure out his whole kibble for the day, take a handful and put it on the counter - those are his "treats" for the day. Otherwise you can bake some green beans to make them crunchy. But I'd be stopping all other treats until the weight comes off. Since the Charlee Bear treats are only 3 cals they should be fine occasionally but the biscuits should go. Carrots, beans, his own food - and more exercise! Good luck

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

SarahJN is offline Member

I can see what these other guys are saying - really, if your dog is on a diet you shouldn't really be feeding him treats that aren't "wholefoods," like small pieces of fruit or veg. I hate to be so strict but Millie's on a diet too and she doesn't get any treats at all, just half a can of dog food and a handful of biscuits, with two long walks and a play every day. I'm hoping she'll lose lots of weight this way.
    If you really can't resist, small pieces of fruit or veg are a good idea, or Victoria Stillwell always recommends lean chicken (this is expensive, though, and high amounts of protein have been linked to aggressive behaviour). If you're still stuck, search "It's Me or the Fat Dog" on Youtube, where she shows you how to bake your own Tripe treats for dogs that are a little overweight. It'll also encourage you to keep up the good work! It did so for me