Confused on what to do about Rocky

Thread: Confused on what to do about Rocky

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultConfused on what to do about Rocky

Since about thanksgiving (canada, october) Rocky has been licking an area from his elbow to his shoulder. Energy level is good, no limping, all normal otherwise exept possibly he is licking his lips more as well....

Went to the vet last week. She said it is one of those things can be hard to pinpoint. One CAN see the area where he licks though. It is an odd spot to be allergy related so not likely, though he had been changed to fish orijen for the past while (moved back to regular adult orijen)
    She said it didn't look like ticks or other bug bite. Plus, no visible sign of bites or irritation.

So she recommends doing metacam for a week to see if he stops licking which would mean it was pain/discomfort related. Not exactly a great thing to to medicate a dog needless but I went with it.

Anyway, the course of metacam is over now, and still, lick lick lick. Yesterday he even licked his OTHER shoulder. his energy is good. we did lots of long walks. But I am paranoid he is limping abit (maybe he isn't and I am just stressing, I don't know).

I am just confused on if I am just over thinking things or what. Or where to go now.

Yes I will talk to the vet again soon, they did call to check up earlier today.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy used to lick the inside area of her forearm. She would lick it bald. Honesty, with her...I think it was OCD. She got in the habit and she just did it for the sake of doing it. She did it twice. The first time, I wrapped vet wrap around the spot and she learned to leave it alone, plus I would yell at her when I caught her. The second time I caught her doing it, all I did was tell her that I would wrap it up again if she didn't cut it out. I swear she stopped. But she's really our only dog that I truly believe understands the English language fully...

I agree and that is part of the thing - it may be behavioral. So I could sink money into investiagating something that ends up being behavioral!

I don't want to stop him without being sure - wouldn't want him hiding it when it is because of pain or discomfort!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Maybe contact a canine chiropractor or if there's a vet familiar with sport dogs in the area?

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Rhys is an ocd licker too. and his shoulders are his favorite area.

Sounds mean, but the vet recommended putting Tabasco sauce on him because the sound was driving me nuts. (after spending hundreds to make sure it was nothing and dosing with Benedryl, and he's already on Tramadol and Metacam.)

The hot sauce did nothing except give me a 'no lick' command. Then he acquired a taste for it.

Hope its nothing and that the sound doesn't drive you nuts.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

actually it annoy me when they get into licking mode. Poor Dryf would drive me insane with all his licking the last few years (litterally licked for hours! poor guy had ba arhtirtis). HOWEVER, I worry about telling him to stop (even though I want to!) because I don't want him to start hiding the behavior IF IT IS RELATED TO A PROBLEM!

so I will look into a chiro and get him on a goodgluc suplement but he seems fine so not sure I will do more than that just yet. Oh and of course, greatly reduce our running to short runs on grass where I do stairs and he putters for awhile!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

confession: I think bad bad thoughts when Rhys is licking and sometimes I throw things (not always soft LOL
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    confession: I think bad bad thoughts when Rhys is licking and sometimes I throw things (not always soft LOL
    LOL, totally understand - it is one of those things that gets on my nerves too

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Tanya, I looked into socks for Abby at one point in the summer, but thankfully, my being on her case cleared her up, but she licked her entire foot raw when we were in Greece...

I can't remember the website, but they come with harnesses so the dogs can't just get them off - the success stories on the site were great.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.