Lepto vaccine?

Thread: Lepto vaccine?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultLepto vaccine?

Does anyone do this one? I am on the fence.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

If it's a known problem in your area, and if you do water work w/ your dogs especially, you should do it. It just became an issue (though still not many cases reported) in C. WA but it's common in W. WA where I do hunt tests. It does transfer to humans too, so that puts it at a higher status imo. My vet really felt like she'd dropped the ball on me when she realized she hadn't pushed it for my dogs. I bought some of the Vanguard L4 along w/ a few other hunt tester/field trialer/breeders and have done my own the past 2 yrs. The key is not to give it w/ the combos if at all possible, just in case your dog is sensitive. None of us have had any probs w/ the Vanguard L4.

Anne

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Most definitely not. Reactions are often volatile, vaccines are often only effective for very short periods of time and only cover a few (of hundreds) of the strains possible. It is also curable for the most part, provided you know what you're looking for and catch it in time.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

No, for the reasons Kate mentioned. Too many serovars and not enough protection, too many reactions.

That being said, we're in roughly the same area (I think) and I do worry about it since Jake and Charlotte are in the water all. the. time. I just remind myself that vaccine reactions are bad, and I'm an attentive owner so I would probably catch it in time to successfully treat. (ACVIM has a consensus statement on the vaccine somewhere on their web site I think...or that might just be Lyme)

As Anne mentioned, if you do choose to do it be sure it's not in a combo vaccine.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Yep, Java has had her Lepto vaccine and Moka will be getting hers.
    Java is a huge water dog and Moka will be, so I felt it was important to protect them both.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Reason I ask is that I had heard that is was hard to treat. My vet's practice is pushing both Bordatella (which I wont get) and the lepto. The vet I see agrees with me about not doing the bordatella, but thinks that the lepto is worthy. She said nothing about there being multiple strains.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Lots of vets around here do think Lepto is worthy and I don't think they're unjustified, since there's a fair amount of it in our area.

Honestly, I know more about cattle lepto, but I do know there are multiple serovars for dogs and the vaccine only protects against a few. This is a good article on lepto in dogs:
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/noel/index.php

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Agree with Kate and Jess.

Henery had such a bad reaction with the lepto vaccine two? years ago that he will never have it again. He had horrible explosive (and I do mean explosive) diarrhea for a good week after the vaccine. Never again.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Rider does react, but I do give it. They are in such wide varying ranges of water and stuff, it's safer than not. It's the only annual vaccination that i give.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff was vaccinated for Lepto yesterday at her annual physical at KSU's CVM Teaching Hospl.

She's had it before with no bad reactions and I decided for it because she's around strange waters, marshes, & ponds everyday.

But I opted to skip her Bordatella because she's not been boarded or kennelled for several years and none is anticipated.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748