Has anyone used a Bite-Not Collar?

Thread: Has anyone used a Bite-Not Collar?

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas anyone used a Bite-Not Collar?

Duke was neutered yesterday and was sent home with an elizabethan collar to prevent him from licking/biting at the incision area. Well, wouldn't you know he's as flexible as a pretzel because I caught him twisted around licking away. I called the vet and she said to bring him over and they'd fit him with another collar. The collar they sent him home with is called a bite-not collar. It seems to work very well but I'm concerned that the nylon strap running behind his shoulders/front legs is starting to rub a bit after only a few hours. I've loosened it a little and cut the toe out of one of my husband's socks and slid that over the strap to cushion it somewhat. Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I hadn't heard of it until your post so I googled it. There are alot of pros & cons it seems, good & bad reviews of it. I personally don't see how this would deter a dog from going after their hind quarters, especially with the body length of a Lab. If your Duke could get at it with the cone on, I suspect he'll figure out how to do it with this Bite Not collar. The E-collar the vet gave me for Diesel after his neuter is gigantic! He can obviously still swing his head to his rear as there is nothing preventing his neck movement, but the length of the collar extends past the area he wants to lick so he can't get to it. Good luck, I hope it works for you... maybe just watch him for a few hours to see what he does with it.

Forgot to mention that she also had the e-collar (cone) on him in addition to the no-bite collar. That worked until he figured out how to rub on furniture, etc. to unsnap the e-collar. I watched him and he was okay for awhile with just the bite not collar (the sedation helped) but this morning he was able to reach and lick. I'll have to call them when they open up this morning and just watch him until them. He's had his breakfast and is ready to settle in for his morning nap so should be okay until 7:30. I did notice they had a huge e-collar there, but if he can get it unsnapped . . . . and this is only Day 2. When is Diesel's birthday? (It say's he's 8 months 2 weeks old) Duke was born March 1, 2010.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Yep- I used one when Caleb was neutered. I didn't put it on tight enough the first night, and came down the next morning to see it hanging under Caleb with some of the foam padding chewed off (at least he didn't mess with the stitches). Never had a problem once I tightened it,tho.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bookwormbiker View Post
    Forgot to mention that she also had the e-collar (cone) on him in addition to the no-bite collar. That worked until he figured out how to rub on furniture, etc. to unsnap the e-collar. I watched him and he was okay for awhile with just the bite not collar (the sedation helped) but this morning he was able to reach and lick. I'll have to call them when they open up this morning and just watch him until them. He's had his breakfast and is ready to settle in for his morning nap so should be okay until 7:30. I did notice they had a huge e-collar there, but if he can get it unsnapped . . . . and this is only Day 2. When is Diesel's birthday? (It say's he's 8 months 2 weeks old) Duke was born March 1, 2010.
    Wow, you mean business if you had BOTH on! Smart Lab you have there... no idea what to suggest!!! Diesel is actually just over 9 months... that ticker factory thing didn't calculate his age right even though I did put in his DOB, February 12, 2010.

Just had to update this whole situation. I'd called the vet yesterday and told her about his antics and she suggested "Yuck" to spray on the area. I went and got a bottle of it and had Duke lay down and I raised his leg to spray the area. Didn't even think about the possible temperature of the spray. Anyway, it must have been a little too chilly for him. He objected by jumping 10 feet off the floor (exaggeration). This stuff is completely odorless but I must have gotten a backspray or something because I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours. lol. Anyway, he did lick himself later and it didn't seem to bother him, so I gave him another spritz. So far he's been good. It might not be the taste that's stopping him from licking though. I personally think it's the discomfort of this chilly spray on his genital area. My husband completely sympathizes with him.