Pet Insurance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Insurance?

tfof is offline Junior Member

DefaultPet Insurance?

Hello everyone. I've never purchased pet insurance before. Have you had any experience with the different companies? Is it worth it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Because I'm not good at putting aside money (I always find something to do with it) we got pet insurance a few years ago. We have Embrace and so far I'm happy with them. Of course, it hasn't been cost effective because we haven't had any major problems but that's the game.

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

We got pet insurance this past summer. We have it with VPI and have the Superior Plan with the Careguard Coverage. It is $46.00 a month. We got it when Duke was getting his puppy vaccinations and it has helped defray the costs. They also pay some of the heartworm medication costs and Frontline costs. He gets two Wellness exams a year plus other benefit allowances with the Careguard rider. We just had him neutered and a microchip pet identification implanted. It pays $100. toward the neuter and $20 toward the microchip. You pay the vet first and then submit the claim form and copy of vet's bill for reimbursement. You can either mail it to them or submit the claim online. I'd figured on cancelling it after a year, but hubby says to keep it. Ya never know. We'll see..... You can go on their website and get a quote, no obligation.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I have insurance on Aila through Trupanion (Canada) - I pay $40 / month with a $100 yearly deductible. I've made a couple of minor claims (cut pad & allergic reaction). My insurance doesn't pay for routine wellness exams or the initial examination costs. It pays 90% for all accident / illness related costs with no lifetime limit and the deductible does not increase with age. I don't mind paying for the everyday costs, it's the big-ticket items that I'm worried about, which is why i chose this plan specifically. Last year, my older dog Gin (13) had to have major surgery which set us back almost $2000. We didn't have insurance on her and regretted not having it.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I just got PetCare Insurance for Diesel because at only 9 months old I've already had to pay close to $6,000 in vet bills outside of the vaccines & routine checkups. We have yet to need it *knock on wood* but I think that is just murphy's law & hope it stays that way! I'd rather fork out $50 a month to have the protection in case we need it. You just never know what your fur kid is going to get into next!

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by tkeizer View Post
    I have insurance on Aila through Trupanion (Canada) - I pay $40 / month with a $100 yearly deductible.
    Deductible from what? (Sorry if it's a stupid question - UK member)

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanwen View Post
    Deductible from what? (Sorry if it's a stupid question - UK member)
    The deductible is what I'm responsible for before the insurance kicks in. For example, if the bill is $1000, I would pay the first $100.00 and the insurance would cover 90% of the remaining $900.00. Once I've paid the $100 in a year, I do not have to pay that again until the following year, and so if I were to get another $1000 bill in the same year, I would get the 90% coverage on the whole $1000.

I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Ah, right, what our insurance companies call 'Excess'. Now you've explained it 'Deductible' makes far more sense.

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanwen View Post
    Ah, right, what our insurance companies call 'Excess'. Now you've explained it 'Deductible' makes far more sense.
    I was wondering the same thing, so thanks for the clarification.

I pay about £17 a month ($27), the excess (deductible) is £80 ($128). This covers up to £4000 ($6409) per condition. In hindsight, i would go for a lifetime insurance policy, i.e. one that covers the illness for a lifetime (paying up to a set amount over the course of the lifetime). Now that Harvey has a pre-existing condition that we have claimed for, it is unlikely that i could get this kind of cover for him now. I never had insurance for previous dogs, we just paid up when the bill came in but thankfully they were not large amounts.

(FWIW, i would never recommend the company i am with, they are a big company but the service is crap and they took almost 11 weeks to pay up, and it only happened that quickly because i phoned them almost daily and threatened to go to the tabloids :-), however, i am stuck with them due to his pre-existing condition... )

I went with Petplan (the most expensive, I think) because they will pay for treatment however long it lasts and there's no limit. I pay £27 ($43) a month with an excess of £70.00. They settled very quickly (within a week) but the thing that worries me is that my vet wont deal with them direct, I have to settle the bill and then claim it back - now this is OK for the small amount I've had to claim so far but if it came to expensive treatment it would be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast