Food advice needed

Thread: Food advice needed

hersh is offline Junior Member

PostFood advice needed

Hersh, my 15 week old Chocolate Lab, has been on 1 1/2 cups of Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula twice a day for 5 weeks.
    Prior to bringing her home she had been on Purina Puppy Chow and looked thin. The breeder suggested changing to a quality feed and I made the mix and gradually weined her off Puppy Chow in about a week. There were no stomach issues i.e. soupy extraction after day one, her coat which was beautiful at nine weeks is even thicker and healthier looking now and she shows no signs of dry skin.
    She weighed 21 pounds at 11 weeks, today she weighed 32 pounds. She gets a lot of exercise playing with other dogs and playing fetch, and gets leash walked daily and is taken to the park and swimming at least five days a week.
    Is she getting enough food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Hard to tell just by a description. Can you post some pictures of her? A side view and on looking straight down from over her? I like Nature's Variety, and when I do give my dogs kibble it is NV's Instinct Chicken also

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Why didn't the breeder have her on a " higher quality" food? Usually they feed what they want you to feed, not encourage you to change. Oh well glad you did, and glad she is doing so much better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

NV is too high in calcium (2.49) for a growing Lab pup. If you want grain free Orijen LBP has the proper/safe amount. There are others too if you do a search. stick with 1.5 or lower.

Calcium to phosphorour ratios should be 1.2:1 in any dog food for proper absorption, whether feeding a pup or an adult or senior

lyvwire is offline Junior Member

I am using Natural Balance currently but plan on switching to Flint River Ranch. Its the best IMO.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Instinct is the grain free one, right? (How quickly I forget!). Can't give that to a lab pup until about 18 months of age. If you like Nature's Variety, go to the Prairie chicken version. If you insist on a grain free variety, your only choice at this stage is Orijen.

I think at about 15 weeks, my boys were eating about 3 cups of food. But I was constantly adjusting based on activity levels, size and their pooping.

Interesting though that the breeder fed a lower quality food and then suggested to you to feed something better. I know breeders that have a preference based on what's worked for them...but this just sounds a bit odd though. At least just to me.

hayshakerlabs is offline Senior Member

I have a 15 week old puppy who is about 35 lbs and a porker. She is on Royal Canin medium puppy. Her breeder had her on that so until I switch her to adult food, she is still on it. Gussa get about 4 cups aday. Two in the am and two in the pm. I like to keep my puppies a little porky especially while they are teething so they do not rob their bone of the nutrients they need to grow and to keep their substance. I do have to say even though I am not fond of the corn in the Royal Canin I am very pleased with the small poos, the health of Gussa and she has a great coat.
    http://www.hayshakerlabs.com/

Sherry, Saedee, Shyloh, Izzy, Thelma, Natalie, Evon,, Gussa & Parody

hersh is offline Junior Member

I started the switch the day after the original post (Oct. 27) to Nature's Variety Prairie Chicken Meal formula which has an NV of below 1.5. Hersh weighed 37 lbs. at her 4 month checkup/final shots visit and the vet gave her health and development high marks while recommending we stay the course with about 2 cups of Pairie Chicken Meal formula twice a day based on her activity schedule. She is now at 5 months, considerably bigger than a month ago and very happy, beautiful and spoiled.
    I thank you all for the advice and encouragement. This is my first puppy in 30 years and I'm glad JL opened my eyes to the vastly developed level of cannine health care in the 21st century.