1 year lab not eating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 year lab not eating

Heyabbott111 is offline Junior Member

Default1 year lab not eating

my 1 year old black lab all the sudden will not eat his food when we give it to him. this is not like him he usually would be wating for the food as soon as he knew it was coming out for him. he is on blue buffalo chicken and rice. I'm guessing i should switch foods but dont really know which one. I was looking at proplan but will take any advice thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I would definitely switch foods. Not because he isn't eating, but because of the issues Blue Buffalo recently had with their foods.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...lo-recall.html

A lot of Labs do wonderful on Pro Plan, but you have to be careful which one you feed. The quality of some of the formulas have gone down hill (the ones that have the "new" shredded stuff in them). Labby/Laura should be able to help you with which Pro Plan. Because of food allergies/sensitivities, I can't feed it.

Is your Lab acting normal, other than not eating? It's possible it's time to cut back his portions some. Caleb stopped eating at just under a year old. Turned out it was time to start cutting back from a "puppy/growing dog" amount of food to an adult amount. He hasn't missed a meal since! LOL

yes he acts totally normal and i usually feed him 2 cups twice a day. which pro plan is better then the others.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Heyabbott111 View Post
    yes he acts totally normal and i usually feed him 2 cups twice a day. which pro plan is better then the others.
    I can't remember exactly (my dog can't eat Pro Plan), but definitely stay away from the ones that have the shredded stuff in them.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There is always the possibility there is something wrong with the food.

BUT, there's also the possibility at this age (1 year) that your Lab does NOT need 4 cups of food totaling 1800 kcals/day.

Below I've copied a previous post of mine on this issue:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

According to the results of a poll I ran a few years ago which had about 80 owner respondents, approximately 10% of Labs are self-regulating (they know when to stop eating) while the others tend more to the glutton side with little/no sense of how much is enough.

Young pups (2 mos. age) need/tend to eat about 5X the amount that an adult dog of that same weight would eat.

As they grow older, somewhere around 7-8 to 10-11 months age, that multiplier has gradually decreased to/nearly to 1X (that is, the same as an adult, they've reached adult maturity). **

My Puff is one of the rare self-regulators and as she increased in age to about 8 months, her appetite also increased from about 1 cup/day at 9 weeks and 6 lbs to 5 cups at 8 months and 45 lbs.

At that point she stopped eating for a meal or two and, when she resumed, she ate only part of her food. I measured the amount left, calculated the amount eaten, and offered her the reduced amount for subsequent meals.

We went through that same process several times until getting to her typical adult meal portion of 1 cup/ 2X day (393 kcals/cup).

BTW, Puff is a moderately active Lab and gets very substantial daily exercise.

Also, several recent scientific canine nutritional studies on Labs show that those Labs fed 75% less than normal have significantly fewer health problems and live significantly longer.

Hope this helps.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    ** There is a great deal of variability in rates of development depending on the particular line of Labs.

Some, like my Puff, have a rate of weight gain similar to the shape of the silhouette of the NW quadrant of a US/Can. football when its noses are pointed E-W -- i.e., convex in shape.

Others have a more drawn out S-shape (sinusoidal?), with a rate of weight gain less than Puff's in the early months but then crossing over the trajectory of her curve with a more rapid weight gain, but then soon leveling off at the adult asymptotic level.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

I was looking at proplan but will take any advice thanks.
    First of all, cut back to 3 cups of food a day. See if that perks up the appetite. Secondly, I would switch the food, maybe to ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. The dogs love the fish based food. Put the food down for 5 minutes. If the dog doesn't eat it, the food gets picked up until the next scheduled feeding time. You do not add food, he gets what's in the dish. If he leaves a kernel of food, then that's what he gets. We do not add food until the dish is clean and only at scheduled feeding times. Under no circumstances are you going to add anything to the food right not to entice this boy to eat. He gets dog food and only dog food.

Hopefully this will stimulate him to eat again.

Laura

thank you all for the advice. this is my first lab or dog at that and i get nervous when he acts a little out of his normal. I think i will give the proplan a try and cut him back a little bit.

...this is my first lab or dog at that and i get nervous when he acts a little out of his normal...
    Heck, I've had dogs my entire life as well as worked for my vet, and I still get nervous when mine don't act quite right. If you didn't care about the well being of your new friend, you wouldn't worry.

labby is offline Senior Member

this is my first lab or dog at that and i get nervous when he acts a little out of his normal.
    You're a good dog parent, of course you're going to get nervous. No worries. We all get nervous sometimes.

Laura

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel went from a vet insisted JL debated Hills Prescription Diet onto Blue Buffalo the chicken one. I had weened him very slowly to try & avoid stomach upset. On the BB he NEVER had a solid poop, I mean NEVER. It was like mashed potato poop everytime & he was going like 5 times a day. Then when he got sick with the Gastro issue, his stomach was emptied enough that I thought it would be a good time to switch foods. Alot of JLers recommended Pro Plan Selects so I switched him & what a difference!! Solid poop all the time, and less frequent pooping, 3 a day max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast