Itchy Scratchy Puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itchy Scratchy Puppy

Robyn1313 is offline Junior Member

DefaultItchy Scratchy Puppy

I have a 6 month old puppy who has always had issues with scratching. We we got her she was on Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy food. The vet suggested that it was probably an allergy to corn or wheat. She is now on Wellness Large Breed Puppy food. It has no corn, wheat, or soy but has chicken as it's main protein source.

She is still scratching like crazy and is biting the fur off of the backs of her feet. We tried Benadryl for 4 days and it did not help. Not to mention that it made her very tired.

He now says it may be a chicken allergy. Any suggestions out there for a corn, wheat, soy, Chicken free food? This is frustrating. She is an incredible and much loved dog and it is sad to see her itch like this. Someone suggested Taste of the Wild, but it is not a puppy food. Any experience with this?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It could also be an environmental allergy. Have you seen a dermatologist? Done a skin scraping? Are you bathing this puppy at all? With what?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I have not had an allergy test done yet. I did mention this and the vet said it probably isn't necessary yet. I may get pushy with him on this one. I only bath her about once every 8 weeks or so. She is in the house alot and really doesn't smell bad. When I have bathed her I use an oatmeal shampoo for dogs that is supposed to be gentle to sensitive skin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It could be that her skin is dry too. I don't really bathe mine at all.

Did you try adding fish oil to her diet? Is her skin flaky?

Ugh. I am TOTALLY having the same problem with my 5 mo old puppy. He is scratching more and more lately and starting to bite the fur on the back of his paws and arms. Poor guy.

We feed him Eagle Pack Large Breed puppy (in case that's not available in the US, its a high quality dog food) and we are only bathing him every 3 months.

Next time we take him to vet I guess I will ask, but in meantime I might just give him benadryl daily.
    Malone, my Chocolate Drop!

Most people on this board would advise you that unless your puppy rolls in something noxious, they just really don't need bathing. Blaise has had 2 baths in his 2 years and Diesel has not had one since his last encounter with a skunk - at least 3 years ago.

Their coat and skin do benefit from natural oils - unless you have a medical reason to bathe - I'd stop.

I thought back and she has not been bathed since she was about 16 weeks old. The same week she got her rabies shot. She does not have dry or flakey skin. She recently had a problem with runny mucus filled stools because she ate part of a rope toy (under my husband's watch) and the vet had me feed her chicken and rice for 2 days. This was when the scratching and paw chewing really took off. I feel that she may be allergic to chicken. I looked at the Blue Buffalo Turkey and Sweet Potatoe blend, but have heard mixed things about that brand. Wellness has a Whitefish and Sweet Potatoe food. Maybe I will give that a try. She has had a bit of a runny nose off for a long time also and the vet just thought it was seasonal allergies, although in the summer where I live it is 113 degrees so I am not sure what is growing that would cause allergies in that heat. I think it has been chicken all along. At least that is the latest thing I am going to try eliminating. I will try adding fish oil also. That is a great idea, thanks for that BigBrownDog. Do you know how much you should give a 36 pound puppy?

jebsmama is offline Senior Member

Taste of the Wild has a prairie blend that is no-grain and no poultry that you might try. Ours have done well with it. We also rarely bathe ours. If anything they might be rinsed off in the shower occasionally just to get the dirt off. No soap.
    Susan
    Bayou Bay's Jeb's Trouble Too, RN, CGC

labby is offline Senior Member

STOP ALL BATHING!!! First and foremost.

Next, what cleaning products are you using? Detergent? Fabric softener? Dryer sheets? Around my house, I only use white vinegar diluted with water to clean. Contact/environmental allergies are the most common type of allergies.

Have you cleaned the carpet/floors lately?

Food allergies are rare. Only 2% (or something ridiculously low) of all allergies are food related. A dog can be "sensitive" to ingredients, but a full blown allergy is rare. You have a 6 month old puppy which can be switched to an adult dog food (NOT LARGE BREED). Try ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach or maybe ProPlan Selects Salmon and Brown Rice. You need to watch your calcium levels with a 6 month old puppy so just don't switch to another food without first doublechecking what the calcium levels are in that food.

Laura

Sweet- thanks Labby for the info! We will definitely hold off on bathing for awhile... And I have had my suspicions about the laundry detergent and I actually bought some 7th generation "Free & Pure" detergent today since I've been having some itching lately too, even though I use Tide Free & Clear.
    Malone, my Chocolate Drop!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast